Evaery heard of thee windows? Which is better?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cinnimmon

Evaery heard of thee windows? Which is better?

#1 Post by cinnimmon »

I need some new windows, mostly slidebys. I have had several estimates that are within $900 of each other. All of the installers have great reviews, but I am uncertain about their windows. Looks like each has their own brand. Any recommendations? The windows are Quality Plus, Preservation, and Unlimited. Thank yu.

HomeSealed

Re: Evaery heard of thee windows? Which is better?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Preservation is an Alside product. Same product that you can get from Window World, just with added bells and whistles. I'm not familiar with Quality Plus. A quick search didn't return anything either... any more info on that one? Unlimited is a small local manufacturer in my neck of the woods. Quality is decent in my experience, but the pocket sill design is undesirable for the lost glass area and potential issues associated with that design. The Preservation incidentally has a similar design. See the pic for a visual.
I'd recommend checking out a few other products to compare before making your choice. There are a handful of vinyl windows that are almost universally highly regarded including Sunrise Restorations/Vanguard, Okna HiMark, Softlite Elements, and a few other great options. My main recommendation would be to try and make your research process as objective as possible. The best way to do that is to compare independently tested performance ratings, most notably u-value and air infiltration. The top products today are getting total unit u-values in the range of .25-.28 (double pane) and air infiltration ratings as low as .01 cfm.
glass loss.jpg
(117.54 KiB) Downloaded 298 times

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to HomeSealed's feedback.

Any other information on the other windows or companies?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Agree with the other posters recommendations. Quality plus and Unlimited from what i see are not what i would consider " investment grade".

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Let me expand on my previous comments, The Preservation is loaded up Alside Sheffield which had terrible air leakage numbers and a highly questionable (clip in sill and dam leg) design. I have used it previously and it had a bunch of issues after the fact.

I don't know the Unlimited window that well as it appears to be a bit regional. That being said, what I can find out about it looks like it is a pocket sill window. That is an automatic disqualifier in my book right there.

I can find anything about the Quality Plus unit. Is that a builder's supply house special?