I have 3 quotes and I'm stumped

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ctnj

I have 3 quotes and I'm stumped

#1 Post by ctnj »

My coworker's husband worked 30y+ in manufacturing and window sales. I talked to him and received recommendations for 2 companies, I sought a 3rd quote on my own. We have 16 windows to replace, double hung with grids all over, low-e/argon - 4 of the windows are nearly as tall as a door. There is one other "long time" window installer in my area, they carry Gorell 5100 and 5300. I have not priced them, not sure if I should?

I'll list the quotes and his feedback:

1. Alside Preservation Reserve - $435/window. Business recommended by coworker's husband - they are heavily marketed in our area, in business 51y, we have a number of friends who have used them as well as lots of people in my n'hood. I'm not getting any clear answer from the sales rep as to whether they carry other brands which is annoying me. Excellent reviews everywhere. Sales guy reminded me of a used car salesman.

2. Slocomb Windows/Earthwise - Harmony Series - $477/window. Coworker's husband sold for them, says these folks and #1 are the best here for installation/warranty coverage, 19y in business and they have carried this brand 15, neighbors on listserv have used/recommend. Owner came out to measure, we liked him. Can't find much on the window - I liked the look of it the best. The window has insulation around it (I can't remember if he said 1/2 or 2 in!) and they measure 2x to ensure within 1/8 inch before ordering the windows (made for us). Slowest turnaround time (8-10w due to holidays). The brochure:
newtownwindows.com/harmony143.html

2. Soft-Lite Imperial LS - $506/window. Waiting to get in writing. They install, blow in foam and do aluminum cladding. Also pricing Bainbridge. This company in business 24y - has much smaller online footprint (reviews), but is recommended/noted on the City Data website. I emailed n'hood listserv to see if anyone used them, no reply (we live in a BIG n'hood, homes built in 70s/80s). Coworker's husband indicated they'd been his competitor when in sales and as a distributor he'd had negative experiences, whereas only positives with #1 and #2. I liked the sales guy.

So I'm confused. I want window #3 and I'm slightly uncomfortable with not having as much insight into the company reputation. Thoughts?

Windows on Washington

Re: I have 3 quotes and I'm stumped

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

If it were me, I would take product #3 installed by company #1

The LS is a superior window in all aspects to the window that company #1 offers.

Does your coworker's husband have an installer reference or any pull with company #1?

ctnj

#3 Post by ctnj »

all they carry is Alside. Just got the sales pitch (again). I guess their business model has changed with the economy. They used to carry Gorell until the bankruptcy/acquisition by Soft-Lite.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

The Softlite is the best window of the three, but you have to trust the installation and service of the company doing the work as well. If you can, I like that option. If not, you might get another quote or two.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

By a huge margin the Softlite LS is the best choice.
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ctnj

#6 Post by ctnj »

Someone in the nhood replied with positive feedback on soft lite company! Waiting on written quote. Can you clarify the major differences between the bainbridge and imperial LS? I want to ask for super spacer on either - would you agree?
Last edited by ctnj on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

The Imperial is better designed, a stronger frame. The imperial also has composite reinforcement and a interlocking sill. That price is cheap, would go with the imperial without hesitation.

ctnj

#8 Post by ctnj »

I meant bainbridge - sorry! Haven't had coffee yet

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

I would still be all over the Imperial at that price.

ctnj

#10 Post by ctnj »

last question - hopefully. they called to tell me the windows they order/install are Barrington and Imperial LS so they get bulk discount, whereas they can't get same pricing on Bainbridge. As such, he's going to try to get the Imperial pricing down for me - I did not even ask. Should this concern me?

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

The Barrington and the Bainbridge are basically the same window, although most find the Bainbridge more attractive. I would not be concerned, as dealers are usually able to carry one or the other. If he is able to get you a better price on the LS, that is a bonus. That is the window that you want. :D

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Super spacer or stainless steel.