Any infotrmation on Renewal by Andersen?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
TomW

Any infotrmation on Renewal by Andersen?

#1 Post by TomW »

The sales Pitch I got were that these FIBREX windows were stronger and less prone to Thermal Expansion. Any reviews?

mman

renewal by anderson

#2 Post by mman »

Not necissarily true. The concept behind renewal is to combine wood fiber with vinyl and create a stronger window, but the window has not been on the market long enough to provide strong feedback as to how this will test out over time. The window has a lot of interesting bells and whistles, but if the frame falls apart, it is useless, so proceed with caution. My advice would be to go with a window that has been in the market longer than 10 years.

flygirl

Renewal by Andersen

#3 Post by flygirl »

I agree w/mman. I know someone that has had them for about 6 years and they are really looking bad - totally falling apart. Glass and frame separating. Will probably have to have them replaced again! STAY AWAY!

Kate

Re: Renewal by Andersen

#4 Post by Kate »

flygirl wrote:I agree w/mman. I know someone that has had them for about 6 years and they are really looking bad - totally falling apart. Glass and frame separating. Will probably have to have them replaced again! STAY AWAY!
I find that very hard to believe, probably another vinyl window saleperson trying to take a swing at the best. We have Renewal by Andersen windows in our home and have had them for 7 years. Compared to alot of the vinyl products that are on the market and what I have seen our windows seam fine, its too bad people have to try to trash the best all the time. I am sure that Andersen take this as a compliment from the plastic window industy. Geesh

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

So "Kate", ....after having 'the best" windows made installed for over 7 years, you just decided out of the blue to show up on this vinyl-replacement-window site tonight, defend Renewal and take a cheap shot at the "plastic" window industry.

Geesh "Kate", that's an unbelieveable coincidence. :roll:

The U Factor

#6 Post by The U Factor »

Window4U (IL) wrote:So "Kate", ....after having 'the best" windows made installed for over 7 years, you just decided out of the blue to show up on this vinyl-replacement-window site tonight, defend Renewal and take a cheap shot at the "plastic" window industry.

Geesh "Kate", that's an unbelieveable coincidence. :roll:
she must really love her RBAs

Tru_blue

Renewal by Andersen & Milgard & Everyone Else!

#7 Post by Tru_blue »

Boys and girls, now stop fighting.

Here's my observations. These observations are based on not only the 28 years I have been in the window industry, and my 10 or 11 years or so as a mediator for NARI (where I remain neutral on all mediation cases assigned to me), and my having carried many brands of windows over the years (wood, aluminum, fiberglass, and vinyl), but also based on reading hundreds and hundreds of posts at this forum and many others like it. Here goes:

1. Some of the people who post here are very competitive and "enthusiastic" (lol) about the brands they sell. Nothing wrong with that. However, they can sometimes make statements that are exaggerated or misleading they might have learned in a training class through the company they work for, or perhaps from hearing it verbally somewhere and accepting it as gospel without investigating it for themselves. Some of their statements are true, some are not. Some partially are. Most of the information shared on this forum is pretty good stuff and one can learn a lot.

2. Unfortunately some people visit these forums and make posts to bash other brands, implying that you are an idiot if you buy anything other than their brand or one similar to it. They may even believe that it's true when it isn't necessarily so. Whether it's true or not, the pitch they learned probably works in their presentation at someone's home or in their showroom. Fortunately, usually when someone makes misleading statements at this forum, one or two or more of the pros at this forum will step up to the plate and challenge the statements that are questionable. I guess it makes for a good, spirited debate.

3. In this latest message thread, mman and flygirl are pro-Milgard people and Kate is pro-Renewal by Andersen. I have observed that (alleged) Renewal by Andersen people have repeatedly posted anti-vinyl messages on these boards. Often they will create a user name and use it once or twice, attempting to sound like a homeowner instead of an Andersen salesman, then reappear with another ID at a later date with essentially the same message, often with quotes lifted right off of the Renewal website or brochures. Hard to prove but pretty obvious. "Kate's" post had typical anti-vinyl Renewal-type rhetoric, such as the use of the term "plastic" instead of "vinyl," referring to Andersen Renewal as "the best" when they clearly are not (more on that later), and by being one of the few posters to accurately spell "Andersen" (a dead giveaway lol). :)

4. Both sides made some statements that are not entirely accurate. I'm not accusing them of lying, but their statements may just reflect their enthusiasm for their own product, or lack of knowledge about the other brand. Mman has mentioned in the past that he handles Milgard and prefers that brand; his comments have generally been pretty good and diplomatic. Flygirl has made some truly helpful and insightful comments in the past. Sometimes she has made surprisingly strong statements that I strongly disagree with, usually when talking about Andersen. Kate has made the typical negative comments that I have come to expect with the RBA people, but "she" was defending the RBA bashing from the Milgard people.

5. The original question was are "Fibrex windows stronger and less prone to Thermal Expansion" than vinyl windows? The answer given was "Not necessarily true." Well, the answer is TRUE. (Mman went on to qualify why he said "not necessarily" by addressing the unit as a whole rather than the Fibrex material only) The wood/vinyl composite material called Fibrex is indeed more than twice as thermally stable as vinyl, and has about twice the stiffness of vinyl. However, I would submit to you it doesn't matter. When is enough enough? Vinyl windows are designed to perform just fine given their unique properties. If they have metal reinforcements in them they don't NEED to be any stiffer than they already are, and the windows are designed to expand and move without incident - that's the way vinyl is. Generally speaking vinyl windows are better weatherstripped than their wood window counterparts to account for increased thermal expansion. And speaking of strength, although Fibrex is stiffer than vinyl, vinyl is more impact resistant than Fibrex. By quite a bit. If you want to get ridiculous, how about comparing RBA's Fibrex to fiberglass windows. The fiberglass used in windows is 6x more scratch resistant than Fibrex, about 7x more impact resistant, and about twice as thermally stable as Fibrex. I don't care; they all are designed to perform fine if properly installed. Both mman and flygirl suggested that RBA's frames might fall apart - to stick with a window that's over 10 years old that has proven itself. Flygirl even stated "STAY AWAY" from Renewal By Andersen (RBA). Maybe they observed firsthand a Renewal window falling apart, maybe not. It could have been heresay from a friend of a friend of a friend . . . Flygirl said she knows someone with 6 yr old RBAs that are bad. It would be nice to check them out and verify that. Maybe she already did. Every RBA job I've seen or heard of in my area has been pretty good. I can't prove or disprove anything therefore about a RBA window falling apart. So I would be hesitant to bash them or tell someone to stay away. RBA doesn't have the highest performance numbers in any category that I know of (except price lol), but to me they are a legitimate choice until I observe otherwise or have been presented with convincing evidence. (In defense of the Milgard people, they didn't deny the claims made in the original question about strength and thermal stability, they just merely switched to the topic of longevity of RBA's frames)

As for Kate and the many RBA posters before her, referring to RBA as "the best" seems to be an obvious clue as to her occupation: a RBA salesperson. Perhaps not, and if so I apologize, but I get tired of the arrogant and obnoxious anti-vinyl anti-wood posts that RBA people make in ignorance and zeal. Some are pretty nasty. Some however are in self defense. RBA does not have the best DP ratings. Nor do they have the strongest windows. Nor do they have the best air infiltration ratings, U Values, or IG spacers. They have great name brand recognition and are backed by a company I have a lot of respect for. They have a respectable warranty but that is not the longest in the industry either. "The best?" I suppose if I were in your shoes I would point out the advantages of Fibrex over vinyl too. Who wouldn't? I like to think I'd go about it in a more tactful, friendly way. I really don't know. Thank goodness I don't have to know.

Bottom line: RBA is fine (GASP - did he just say what I thought he said??). So are vinyl windows. And wood clad. And fiberglass. There's a place for all of them and they all have their pros and cons. I don't want to see any window manufacturer shut down and displace hundreds of employees (well, maybe a few I can think of 8) ). There's high quality ones at a premium price, and low quality ones at a cheap price, and even the low quality ones are the best choice for some people. My job is to match the right window to best meet the needs of the customer, and in doing so make a profit for my company so we will be in business to take care of future and current customers. The fighting and competitiveness that sometimes takes place is I guess a part of sales. Competition is good for the customer - it gives them choices and generally keeps the prices honest. We're all good for each other. Now everybody play nice.

mman

#8 Post by mman »

HERE HERE!! Three cheers for Tru-blu. I appreciate your wisdom and experience, and try my darndest to be a bit non-biast. I know (and many others on the forum) I do lean to Milgard, but I will NOT bash another window co. or person on this forum, or in my professional life, nobody wins there, and customers don't appreciate it usually. I like this forum because, first and foremost, I can further my education, and provide some advice when it is prudent. Andersen is a great co. and in truth, I have no problem with the window. It has some great features, and has a very nice over all look. I however, don't always agree with the people who typically deal/sell their products, but that is neither here nor there. In closing.... CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!

VRWAdmin
Site Admin

#9 Post by VRWAdmin »

As the administrators of this board, we welcome all posters who wish to participate in any discussions. However, we do ask that all be respectful of other posters, stick to the facts and above all prove to be genuine registrants of the forum. Of all the infractions we have witnessed over the years with the board, creating fake posters is the worst of all. We appreciate the above two posts calling for good and honest interaction.

The Renewal product line continues to be an interesting player in the replacement window business. No other window stirs such controversy and passions. Several years ago we were so intrigued with the market reaction to a product of such a unique nature that we asked Renewal for information that we could post to the site. We received several sheets that we scanned and posted to a section devoted to Fibrex; complete with Andersen contact information, logo’s, ect. Nothing was changed or altered in any way. Approximately 60 days after posting the information on three sites we own and operate we were called by Renewal and told to take the material down; they did not feel our sites were an appropriate means to display their information.

We have always been curious why Renewal would not want over 1,000,000 people per year made aware of their product, free of charge. That would seem a more direct means of disseminating product information than some other ways we can think of.

WinBoard Admin

kidgrok

Neophyte's observation

#10 Post by kidgrok »

Wow! This thread has been interesting reading from my "newby" perspective. Should probably be required reading for people just starting out on this site since it gives valuable perspective when encountering apparently contradictory advice to basic informational questions.

To you impartial, experienced, principle-motivated contributors--thanks for your valuable and valued time! May your businesses prosper and grow with the help of discerning buyers such as myself. (Now back to the business of discerning buyership.)

ft_ball_fn

Renewal by Andersen - Screens

#11 Post by ft_ball_fn »

I am NOT a window expert/seller... just researching windows because I need to replace a bunch in my house. RBA makes a nice looking casement window (double hung I was less impressed with)... judging by NFRC #'s it performs ok (not the best.. but good). They gave me a decent quote (not the highest $--but up there). I do not like how RBA casement screens are only held in with two locking clasps--no matter how big the window/screen is. I have some tall windows.. and they would only have 2 clasps holding the screens in. In their showroom they had 3 tall casements--each of the screen had bent slightly (not surprising--they are flimsy) and all had large gaps at the corners because of how they only attach in the center vs. at the 4 corners. Because of this (and wanting better energy performance) I'm not buying RBA and am still looking for a good casement.

Windowguy

Renewal By Andersen

#12 Post by Windowguy »

When the Renewal product was first introduced by Andersen, it was called the Millenium window. It was distributed thru the same distributors and dealers as the regular Andersen products. We had a lot of problems with the new Andersen product, especially chipping from moving it around in our warehouses. It seemed that most dealers had the same problems as we did, so Andersen took it off the market for a couple of years, and reintroduced it as the Renewal window. I don't beleive it was changed in any way, but they did distribute it differently. Now, only select dealers carry the Renewal window and they are trained on how to handle this product without chipping it. These dealers also are required to only carry the Renewal product (at least Homeworks in San Rafael, California). Because they only carry the Renewal window, they put-down all the other brands, and rely on a hard-sell approach. Because they are a one-time close company, they get a fortune for their product. A much better product is Amsco's rennaisance window. Also a composite window, it is stronger than the Renewal window at less than half the cost.

mj

CertainTeed-Somerton II?

#13 Post by mj »

:roll: Please help;
I have received several quotes on Vinyl window replacements here in California (we currently have aluminum). Our first quote was for Anlin window. I really liked the window but the price was a little high for 7 windows. The second quote was from Galkos with a promotion on windows. Well, my husband almost drew the salesman out of the house with his outrageous quote of over $13, 000 for 7 windows.
We are now looking at CertainTeed, the Somerton II window- any comments on this window?

Door&WindowPlus

#14 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Galkos is a joke. Their private label Atrium window price is a joke. Keep shopping. Certainteed is a good brand. Should be priced around $500-$550 a window installed in Southern California.

Hope this helps,

Bryan
Last edited by Door&WindowPlus on Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mj

Certainteed Bryn Mawr II vs Anlin

#15 Post by mj »

I Just received a quote for Bryn Mawr II for 4,000 and Anlin for $5,500 for the 7 windows. Which is best?