Help installing new OKNA windows.

For those self-installers
igids1

Help installing new OKNA windows.

#1 Post by igids1 »

Hi all,

I've been reading this board for a while, just recently registered. I just purchased some new (replacement not new construction) OKNA 500 windows and am about to try and install them myself. They will be replacing older, wooden double hung. The double hung windows are already removed. I have already dry fitted the OKNA in place, and everything seems ok, but I do have a few questions I am hoping you can help me with.

1) Like most windows, my sill is sloped. So, when I put the OKNA window in, there ends up being like a 1 inch gap, something like this >. So it looks like the window only makes contact with the sill in one small spot. Is that ok, and should I just fill the large gap with insulation?

2) The window has a small strip of insulation that goes all the way around the window. Do I need to worry about that at all when I am using spray foam around the window, do I just spray behind that strip all around?

3) There is two tensioner adjustment screws, one on each side...are they adjusted from the inside of the window, after it is screwed into place? Does it have to be adjusted?

4) Attached to the header expander is another piece of plastic, is that the sill adapter, and do I just cut it off the header?

Thanks for any help, I will try to attach pics.

HomeSealed

Re: Help installing new OKNA windows.

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

igids1 wrote:Hi all,

I've been reading this board for a while, just recently registered. I just purchased some new (replacement not new construction) OKNA 500 windows and am about to try and install them myself. They will be replacing older, wooden double hung. The double hung windows are already removed. I have already dry fitted the OKNA in place, and everything seems ok, but I do have a few questions I am hoping you can help me with.

1) Like most windows, my sill is sloped. So, when I put the OKNA window in, there ends up being like a 1 inch gap, something like this >. So it looks like the window only makes contact with the sill in one small spot. Is that ok, and should I just fill the large gap with insulation?

2) The window has a small strip of insulation that goes all the way around the window. Do I need to worry about that at all when I am using spray foam around the window, do I just spray behind that strip all around?

3) There is two tensioner adjustment screws, one on each side...are they adjusted from the inside of the window, after it is screwed into place? Does it have to be adjusted?

4) Attached to the header expander is another piece of plastic, is that the sill adapter, and do I just cut it off the header?

Thanks for any help, I will try to attach pics.
1)That gap should be foamed then covered by the sill adapter mentioned in (4). Yes, just cut it off, score and snap. If the window is a slider by chance, some support in the form of shims or other solid measure should be used to prevent future sagging on the outer edge.

2)That makes a great backer for your spray foam. It is not sufficient on its own, nor does it need to be removed.

3) We use them. Alternatively you could use shims for the same purpose.

4) Already covered :D

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

The side jamb adjustment screws have always be called "jamb jacks" by the guys I was brought up with and we put whatever tension is needed on them by turning them clockwise until desired jacking contact with the jambs is required. Be careful not to over jack them which would hourglass the frame and cause operational problems when opening and closing of the sashes. A good rule of thumb is to look at the reveal at the top and bottom of the sashes as they meet the master frame and see what gap is there and try to obtain that same reveal at the meeting rail.

The sill angle will have various ribs for the ease of trimming with snips or a brand new utility knife blade. Be sure to trim just shy of sill contact by about the thickness of a thin putty knife blade so that the sill angle lies correct and doesn't bind. We tap them in with a little scrape piece of non-marring "whatever" is lying around such as a small block of scrape wood.

igids1

#4 Post by igids1 »

Thank you both for the response. Do you normally attach the sill adapter so it sits behind the exterior stops (inside) or in front of the exterior stops (outside)?

And just to clarify for myself, I want the tensioner screws to be extended so they are making contact with the jambs? So basically their purpose is almost like another screw?

Do you normally shim behind the 4 screw holes, or only shim if necessary for plumb,level and square?

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

I personally put the sill angle on after the window is installed and spray foam is precisely injected and cured under the sill of the new window. Side to side height of the bottom accessory groove may be different on the window as the old sill can be out of level and the new window should be level. The sill angle would go between the exterior stops if that makes sense. When cutting the sill angle to length we measure the inside dimension of between the stops providing the new windows are installed flush the interior face of the exterior stops.

You are correct regarding the tension screws (jamb jacks). On taller double hungs I prefer a third screw to the jamb jack per side.

Since the OKNA 500 and 800 series have accessory grooves that are part of the extrusion but sit proud of the frame I've found that when a window is measured correct no wood shims are needed to the jambs if you are good with your impact driver or drill as the screw threads turning in clockwise motion will shim over the same effect as initial plumbing with wood shims. We want that entire area filled with foam so the shims just sort of get in the way. Very few guys shim vinyl windows with and outside exterior stops tear out anyway. Interior stops removal type installations I see the old school guys still shimming. Patio sliding doors, entry doors, bays/bows, and garden windows always get shimmed at all anchor points.

I keep a good stock of quality #2 Phillips bits for setting windows as I hate when butchers strip out the heads of the softer factory supplied stainless anchors.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Very well explained by DM . Agree on all points. The foam really locks the window in there pretty well, along with the screws, stops, caulking, expanders/trim, etc. The only place I've seen the extra support/shimming necessary on any regular basis is on the sill of sliders as mentioned previously.

igids1

#7 Post by igids1 »

Thanks. Very well written. Everything you said makes perfect sense.

samitn

#8 Post by samitn »

And just to clarify for myself, I want the tensioner screws to be extended so they are making contact with the jambs? So basically their purpose is almost like another screw?

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yes you want the jamb jack o make contact with the stud or frame or wall . It is designed to keep the vertical legs of the replacement window frame not bowed out or in, consistent reveal between the vertical of the sash and the vertical of the frame.