Window Contractor recommendations in Charlotte, NC

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mikeh19d

Window Contractor recommendations in Charlotte, NC

#1 Post by mikeh19d »

I know this is a pretty broad question but who would have ever thought making a decision on replacement windows would be frustrating, confusing, time consuming... So I thought this would be a good place to restart my quest. I want to replace all the windows in my 22 year old home. Currently the windows are wood, double hung, contractor grade so I'm looking to replace with vinyl. There are 23 windows plus a half round window. Also due to rotting frames, I'm also looking to replace two doors, one a standard steel 6 panel and the second door is a full-view double pane, full-view with a blind in the center with a storm door.
So far I have 4 quotes and they all seem to be in the same price range, with some of the same "options" and even the demo window looked the same all 4 times. So the first thing I'm questioning is the manufacturers of the windows. I have been presented Vinyl Design, Weatherlok, Simonton and Zen Windows. I know from previous research that Simonton is a pretty good brand but as for the other three are concerned I have no idea who makes them. When I asked each sales person who manufactures the windows I got, “well, there made right here in the good ol’ US of A”, (said with a slight southern drawl), and “the company has been in business ever since man invented the window…” but no solid facts. So I’m a little hesitant to move forward. Has anyone heard of Vinyl Design or WeatherLok? And who makes Zen windows? Also, is it common for the quotes to be the final number? I couldn’t tell ya how much each window or door cost. What are the chances that if I go back and ask for another quote for a specific brand and model the sales person will give me a higher quote? Does anyone know what are the most common brands sold in NC? And what should be a reasonable installed price be for a standard, middle of the road, energy-star, double-hung, white vinyl window with no bells or whistles? I apologize for this being so long but the more I typed the more I ideas popped into my mind… If you can help, thanks. If not, I hope this can help with some of you own questions.

HomeSealed

Re: Window Contractor recommendations in Charlotte, NC

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Vinyl Design and Weatherlok are both manufacturers. I don't have much experience with either, but getting some performance data (total unit u factor, air infiltration, design pressure, etc) on each is always telling. Zen is a dealer with franchises in several states. Last time I checked I believe that they use the Softlite Classic or Pro, however that could vary by location and/or could've changed completely.

mikeh19d

#3 Post by mikeh19d »

Thank you for the feedback... I ended up getting five estimates from two different types of companies, Windows and doors only and Licensed Contractors. They are all in the same price range and the products seem to be about the same (double hung, two panes of glass), except one (double hung, triple panes of glass). The one triple pane window is built by Alside. Does anyone have any comments about Alside? Anything would help.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Alside has been one of the most discussed products on this forum and others. A search should return a plethora of results. I'd specify the model that you are considering as well because they have a few

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I can tell you that you need to get the best performing window you can. It does not have to be the most or least expensive.
Look for a AI of .05 or less, very very important.
Stay out of the snow, in other words when salesman are not candid or honest get the snow removal tool out and go to work. Either the snow shovel and clear all the snow, or snow boots and kick them to the curb.
TheWindowNerd
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeh19d

#6 Post by mikeh19d »

That seems to be sound advice. Especially the snow boots. Thanks.

BryanG

#7 Post by BryanG »

Mikeh19d, what did you decide?
I'm in the Charlotte, NC area and looking and asking all the same questions for my home.
Thanks!