replacement Window advice

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
zeus84

replacement Window advice

#1 Post by zeus84 »

Good afternoon everyone, I am brand new to this site and am trying to educate myself a bit before pulling the trigger on a pretty large(for me) window project. I have received a quote from a pretty reputable contractor in my area (Upstate NY) for 11 Double hung full frame replacement windows one awning window and one four panel bow window with end casements. The widows he is proposing are Restorations by Sunrise with the double pane Omega 12 glass. the price i received was 14k and that includes new primed interior trim as well. I am waiting for a quote from a different contractor that uses the Polaris Ultraweld triple pane windows. I am curious as to other peoples thoughts on this project. Thank you very much for your time! Mike

HomeSealed

Re: replacement Window advice

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds to be within the range of reason. If you figure the 4 panel bow at around $5k, that puts the dh's and awn at around $750ea. For full tear-outs and new interior trim, I'd actually say that may even be low. If you have woodgrain, grids, and/or other options that would only make that case even stronger.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

I agree on the price being good. The restorations is much nicer looking than the polaris and i also think its better. I have used the polaris ultraweld.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I agree with the other poster advice. The Restorations is a very solidly built unit and good looking as well.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

The Polaris is bit more stout , especially in the sill on the double-hungs. I also never cared for the internal glazing beads/ lift handles on the Sunrise.
I mostly sell Polaris so I could be biased?

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Todd,

I hear you on the glazing beads. Back when Sunrise was glazing with just silicone we would have an issue once in a while when the automated machinery would burp or not get the correct amount to the bottom lift rail/bead. Since they switched to the much more aggressive hot melt I've not seen too many issues. Great Lakes with the Delman family and the spin off Sunrise products prefer that design I guess. The pro would a more clean look with less weld flash.

As much as I really like the lines of the Sunrise products, it's been hard to justify their cost over similar products that match or better their energy performance stats. I really don't run into Polaris around my parts, but I've heard good things about them in general.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

I'd always opt for sash reinforcement on the Sunrise double-hunts as well.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

What they really need would be a Kevlar carbon fiber titanium sill stiffener with zero tolerance. I've had enough frowns and smiles to last a lifetime.

zeus84

#9 Post by zeus84 »

So the Polaris quote came in around $500 less with triple pane vs sunrise double pane....i think I am leaning toward the Polaris.....Thoughts?

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

I like the Sunrise product a little better, however in the Northern region, I'd opt for triple pane, as the double pane package that they use to hit the new .27 u factor for energy star is highly undesirable. Check the condensation resistance ratings and you will see what I mean. If you are able to get the triple pane Polaris for less than the double pane Sunrise, that is hard to argue with, assuming all else is equal. Installation quality and reputation of the installation company should be heavily factored.

zeus84

#11 Post by zeus84 »

Thank you very much for your insight, the Restorations salesman told me that their double pane glass will not meet the upcoming energy star rating but that it is still a superior window. I believe this to be his last ditch effort to stay in the game so to speak. It would just seem logical that triple pane energy star should be superior to double pane non energy star....I did check up on the company selling the polaris window and they appear to be well regarded in the area. They receive top ratings from both Angies list and the BBB, I am hard pressed to find anything negative. They give a 5 year warranty on all of their workmanship vs only one year from the restorations dealer. To top it off the salesman has been very good, has not been pushy at all and even corrected a small mistake in his estimate and ate the cost on his end.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

The restorations is a better window, plain and simple. As for the salesman, i dont view what he said as any sort of "last ditch effort". He seems to be honest as the restorations achieves a .28 Ufactor with double pane glass. If it was my house, the restorations would be a no brainer.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think you found your window and your contractor.
I am all for a company that has respectful sales behavior.

thewindowNerd

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

Stainless intercept spacers and foam filled frames are worthy upgrades on the Polaris

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

Energy star v6 is not "upcoming". It's here, and started with the new year. It's a good sign that he's not trying to sell you the gimmick glass, however they(sunrise) do have a double pane that meets energy star, so it's odd that it was not even mentioned as an option.
I agree with Todd on the stainless spacer and foam filled options on the POLARIS. If you get their double pane offering it will have that automatically to hit energy star, may or may not with triple pane.