Simonton 5500 quote, opinion?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
penaddict

Simonton 5500 quote, opinion?

#1 Post by penaddict »

Received one quote for Simonton 5500 for 10 windows.
I like what the installer has had to say. Open to my questions and gave sound advice matching what I found here.
Good quote?
Four windows double hung each $488 (between 34x45 and 35x 58 each) includes installation
Three double hung each $531 (35x70) includes installation
Two picture windows (35x57 and 22x70) $429 each includes installation
1 three slider 95x45 $900 includes install
Additional $120 for three windows tempered glass
And because Simonton only gives have screens. Upgrade $7 for full screens
Total about $5400

Thumbs up or down just on price?

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton 5500 quote, opinion?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Seems like a fair price, but I don't think the 5500 is in the same conversation with the upper end unit that are usually discussed on here.

The frame profiles run a bit on the heavy side and they do have higher air infiltration rates than many of the units discussed.

Is it a bad window, absolutely not. Quite serviceable and from a very good company. I just don't think it is in the upper echelon of products out there that are available.

penaddict

#3 Post by penaddict »

Thanks
We can't afford more than this really.
Are there better ones at the same price or would the price go up much more?
Thanks again for your input.
Windows on Washington wrote:Seems like a fair price, but I don't think the 5500 is in the same conversation with the upper end unit that are usually discussed on here.

The frame profiles run a bit on the heavy side and they do have higher air infiltration rates than many of the units discussed.

Is it a bad window, absolutely not. Quite serviceable and from a very good company. I just don't think it is in the upper echelon of products out there that are available.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can't really tell for certain without knowing your market and competitors.

Like I said, you are dealing with a solid window in this case. If you like the look and the contractor, go ahead and pull the trigger.

penaddict

#5 Post by penaddict »

It seems from other posts, other like Soft Lite (are they here in Colorado?), Sunrise and Milgard seem more in price than this brand. We do have a Simonton triple pane in our bedroom, installed 5 years ago or so, and it's been fine. I know you can't block all sound as sound travels through walls as well. We have realistic expectations.
Our energy bill has always been good. We try and conserve.
we also put darkening shades in front of blinds.
As a consumer, one can easily get overwhelmed.
Windows on Washington wrote:Can't really tell for certain without knowing your market and competitors.

Like I said, you are dealing with a solid window in this case. If you like the look and the contractor, go ahead and pull the trigger.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Pricing will vary primarily by size and business model of the installation company more than the actual product. I'd get another quote for comparison... I will say though that it will likely be hard to beat that price for a mid grade window or better. The performance of Simonton grades out to a C or C+ IMO, however the company has always given great customer service which can possibly move that to a B overall, especially if the price is right and the installation is top notch.

penaddict

Re: Simonton 5500 quote, opinion? Additional quotes....

#7 Post by penaddict »

Getting another quote today.
I'd like to do an apples to apples comparison so will ask for the Simonton 5500 but would also like to add an additional model into the mix.

I've seen Sunrise and Soft-Lite ones people seem to recommend here.
Are they both good options for Colorado?

Which would be a mid-step up and model name as I know there are so many different models? For example, one installer I contacted recommended the Vanguard (Sunrise), but I felt he was just pushing for a certain brand and his prices were initially way too high for us.

Thanks!