Buying windows for first house, Need help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
quickslver21

Buying windows for first house, Need help

#1 Post by quickslver21 »

Just bought my first house a little over a year ago and I'm looking to have 11 double hung windows installed with grids on top only. I have talked to 3 companies and have 2 more scheduled. My quotes so far are as follows:

Vytex Grandview: $8245
Vytex Georgetown: $7760

Pella:
250series: $6600
350series: $8550

Ideal Majestic:$4500
(quoted 9 windows, 2 47" wide double hung instead of 4 23.5 " double hung windows. I will be opting for the small windows and will have them re-quote me for 11 windows total )

Still waiting on Keystone window(who I believe sells Slocumb windows) and Renewal by Anderson. So far in all my reading on this site there is not much talk about the windows I have been quoted so far. Any of these windows/prices seem reasonable? It seems that Okna and Soflite are highly recommend. Who are some reputable installers in Southeastern, PA area for these brands? Thanks

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Buying windows for first house, Need help

#2 Post by masterext »

The Vytex Window is high quality, the Grandview is very sharp. its the best window you saw so far, very solid.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

The Pella 350 is a good looking window, but that darn pocket sill is a deal breaker for me.

Are you having anyone else come through? It's nice to have a couple of good units as a comparison.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

The pella 350 pocket sill is a big time deal breaker. Also, the lock keeper is very flimsy.

quickslver21

#5 Post by quickslver21 »

I had 2 more quotes.

1-Renewal by Anderson for $2100 per window!

2-Vinylmax Trinity $5800

The company selling Vinylmax includes 50year warranty on everything including labor and accidental glass breakage.

quickslver21

#6 Post by quickslver21 »

Vinylmax installer is also offering triple pane for $6900
Numbers for that are:
U- .20
SHGC - .27
VT - .27
CR -68
Air infiltration.12

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thermals are decent, air numbers are mediocre.

Not a fan for that reason in my opinion.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

The Vytex is the best performer on that list. Check out the Okna 800 and/or softlite (Elements and LS) for reference as well

quickslver21

#9 Post by quickslver21 »

But is the Vytex $225/window better? Also the 50 year labor warranty of the Vinylmax is tough to ignore. I'm waiting for Okna to call me back for installers in my area. Hopefully I will hear from them tomorrow.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

More energy is lost on air than on conduction, radiation, or convection.

That being said, the window with the tighter air number is going to be more efficient and is usually better built as well.

Is it $225 better built, maybe...maybe not. That being said, if you are purchasing something and clearly only want to do it once, the better unit is the window that has a better air number.

A 50 year labor warranty isn't really valid. The enforceability of it is less than 10 years and they are banking on the fact that you will not be there for anywhere approaching that time frame.

Nice sales pitch, but largely worthless.

masterext

#11 Post by masterext »

That is a good price for the vytex and its MUCH better than the others, meaning it will maintain its efficiency much longer and will continue to operate well because of its superior structural integrity. You can also look at the okna 800 and see what kind of pricing is offered.

quickslver21

#12 Post by quickslver21 »

Finally has an Okna dealer come out and was quoted $6800 for the 800DX. Seems to be a clear winner so far

quickslver21

#13 Post by quickslver21 »

Received my finally quote today. Soft lite elements with triple pane for $9700. Ratings were impressive with a U-f .19, SHGC .24 , CR 71 and AI .01.

Just don't think it's worth $3000 more than the Okna 800DX

Delaware Mike

#14 Post by Delaware Mike »

The OKNA 800dx is the clear winner. I install that series along with the Soft-Lite Elements all of the time and both are the top of the food chain as far as vinyl goes. It's been years since I've installed any Ideal products so I don't think it's fair to them to speculate about the series that was quoted to you, however they have never been a major player or highly regarding in terms of high end vinyl. RBA is stark raving mad with their pricing and marketing for a window that doesn't even have impressive performance ratings. Vytex makes a nice product, but I still like the 800 best.