Simonton ProFinish Contractor vs Reflections 5500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
blauner335

Simonton ProFinish Contractor vs Reflections 5500

#1 Post by blauner335 »

Hello All,

I am currently in the process of building a home and my contractor has scoped our house to have the double hung ProFinish Contractor series windows throughout. After doing some more research about it, I am considering asking him to either add upgrades to the ProFinish Contractor series to increase the DP rating, or to have him quote us the Reflections 5500 series that seem like a better window, especially after adding some upgrade options to it. I am in no way a window expert though so this is why I figured I would ask for your advice. I have read that there are things you can add to the windows to upgrade the DP ratings and such, but I can't keep them all straight. We don't mind spending a little extra for the windows, especially since we will be in this house for a long time. We have 24 windows in the house so if its like $50 or so more per window to upgrade and get better, that is a no brainer to me. So my questions would be:

1. Are the ProFinish Contractor Series windows adequate for a new home, and if not, are there upgrades I could ask for in that series of windows to make them better? Will these windows last 10-20 years?
2. Are the Reflections 5500 windows better than the ProFinish Contractor Series, is there a big price difference, and what upgrade options are there for them that would make them better?
3. Is there another Simonton series window I should be looking at?

I am in Western Maryland/Eastern WV area so I am not really sure of my options, but I know my contractor likes to work with Simonton so that's why I was sticking with that.

Thanks and I appreciate your help!

HomeSealed

Re: Simonton ProFinish Contractor vs Reflections 5500

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

If you stick with Simonton, I'd see about the upgrade. That said, I think that you might be in the distribution area of Windows on Washington. He sells and distributes some of the top performing products on the market, where 30+ years is a reasonable expectation as opposed to 10+. The price difference may not as large as you might think either...

Either way, I'd have a conversation to see if there may be a fit. As you can see by his contributions to this forum, he is a tremendous resource whether or not you end up doing business.

Bill

#3 Post by Bill »

I would look into the Simonton Pro-Finish Brickmould 600; it’s a step up from the Pro-Finish contractor in terms of appearance.

The problem with the 5500 is that you require a larger opening to meet egress with a double hung window. To meet egress with a 5500 double hung your window must be 40 x 63 ¼”; chances are your builder is accustom to the 38 x 60 opening size that meets egress in the Pro-Finish line.

I would upgrade the spacer to Super Spacer for a little better performance but I would leave the design pressure rating alone unless you are on the coast.

Contacting Windows On Washington is a good idea.

blauner335

#4 Post by blauner335 »

Thanks Bill - I didn't even know about the Brickmould 600. It comes standard with the Low E glass and has a better warranty as well. For a standard white vinyl series of the BM600, is the price difference that far off from a ProFinish Contractor with the upgraded Low E glass?

I asked my contractor to quote me both the ProFinish Contractor with Low E glass and Supercept spacer and the ProFinish BM600 with the Supercept spacer. If the BM600 is not too much more, it will be an easy decision to go with them.

Besides looks, is there a construction difference between the two or are they relatively the same window?

Bill

#5 Post by Bill »

I think structurally the two windows are about equal. The Brickmould 600 has a narrower cleaner looking sash and it is triple weather-stripped.

Nicer looking exterior as well.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

I like the larger frames on the 5500 and the interior profile of the sash. The larger frame is not really issue as far as loss of glass goes on a full framed window and the larger sashes with there nice profile look a bit more proper and substantial.
Anyone know what the difference in the air infiltration numbers between the 2 are?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote: Anyone know what the difference in the air infiltration numbers between the 2 are?
250% I think.

One is better at what it does than the other.

blauner335

#8 Post by blauner335 »

So the reflections 5500's are 250% better in regards to air infiltration when compared to the BM600's? What is rough cost difference between the two when you are assuming plane white vinyl with the supercept spacers?

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

I don't know what the air numbers are and they changed their website and I could not find them. The 5500 does better on the eye test IMO, in both appearance and quality.
Upgrade to superspacer or stainless intercept spacer, they also have many glass packages, not sure if they foam fill sashes and frames, sash reinforcement perhaps on 36'' and wider units.Even though Simonton has higher air infiltration numbers then some, they are not known to be leakers.

randy

#10 Post by randy »

HomeSealed's recommendation to check with Windows on Washington is a good one. You may be pleasantly surprised to see what you can get a premium grade vinyl window (Okna) for, as compared to the mid-grade (Simonton) you're considering. You mentioned that you intend to be in this house for a long time, so spending a little more to get one of the best windows on the market would be a wise consideration.

I don't think foam filling is an option with Simonton on the 5500. I agree with Todd on upgrading the spacer, but I'm not a fan of Intercept at all, and would recommend SuperSpacer. Reinforcement in the sashes is always a good idea, IMO.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

Eric ( windows on washington) is the go to guy in that area, no doubt about that.
Last time i looked, the air leakage number on the simonton 5500 was a .17 which is very high compared to the upper end products that are available and usually recommended.