Okna 5500DX flange removed = 500DX?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Beano

Okna 5500DX flange removed = 500DX?

#1 Post by Beano »

In light of the fact that some Okna dealers only sell the 400DX and not the 500DX (my preference), how viable an alternative is it to remove the nailing flange from the 5500DX and install as a replacement window vs a new construction window? If this is indeed a legitimate option, are the windows identical in every other way besides the nailing flange? How easily and cleanly can the nailing flange be removed? Any pros out there do this? (I understand that the 800DX is often available from all Okna dealers as another choice, but I like the value, performance, and esthetics of the 500DX best).

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna 5500DX flange removed = 500DX?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Its the same thing.

A stripped flange 5500 is a 500 unit.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Same window... Peculiar that a dealer would be allowed to sell the 5500 but not the 500.
It's not hard to cut the fin off with proper tools, just strange that it would even be necessary

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've found the best method that works for us would be simply multiple scoring passes with a utility knife with BRAND NEW BLADES. Do not attempt to get her in one or two passes with heavy pressure. If you're not comfortable with that method which is the fastest a simple multi oscillating/mulitmaster type tool works real nice.

Appropriate PPE in the form of cut resistance gloves and sleeves is a good idea for the razor knife. They don't even let them inside of many industrial plants these days due to slip ups and stitches. Window pros couldn't live without them.

I'm not a 500 dealer so if I do desire a flanged new construction double-hung unit I can order the 550 which the extruded flange or the factory supplied field installed flanges to the 800.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I used score and snap until I picked up a makita cordless multi-tool... Cuts smoother than an electric knife through a Christmas ham
buttah.jpg
(7.29 KiB) Downloaded 270 times

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

I killed my Makita cordless in less than 3-months and I love Makita drills and impact drivers. I'm a big Makita fan, but I'm sticking with those cheap throw away Milwaukee 12V cordless units and I agree with Homesealed in that they do a nice job on vinyl flanges. The only issue is the vinyl debris goes everywhere, so you obviously want to do this outdoors. They can be quite noisy little machines too for what they are.

Beano

#7 Post by Beano »

I assume the 5500 is indeed available as a 5500DX?

Also, HomeSealed (or anyone else) -care to share the steps of how you added the image to the post? I can't seem to figure that out and am unable to find detailed instruction ( that I can follow) on the forum. I thought I could upload from my pc but that doesn't seem to be allowed. Was that added from a photo hosting site? If so, any recommendations for a simplistic one to use?

Thanks for everyone's feedback re flange removal. This does open up options for that window if two pending dealer in-home appointments aren't favorable for the 550DX for one reason or another.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yes. Deluxe = locking screen and foam filled

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Beano wrote:I assume the 5500 is indeed available as a 5500DX?

Also, HomeSealed (or anyone else) -care to share the steps of how you added the image to the post? I can't seem to figure that out and am unable to find detailed instruction ( that I can follow) on the forum. I thought I could upload from my pc but that doesn't seem to be allowed. Was that added from a photo hosting site? If so, any recommendations for a simplistic one to use?

Thanks for everyone's feedback re flange removal. This does open up options for that window if two pending dealer in-home appointments aren't favorable for the 550DX for one reason or another.
I think that you need to have a minimum number of posts to be able to add an image... You should be able to post a link to a photo hosting site however.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Brandon, is that like 2K?
I am way behind. Got to get out of the field.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

TheWindowNerd wrote:Brandon, is that like 2K?
I am way behind. Got to get out of the field.
Not sure what you are asking? If it is about the number of posts to place an image, its far less than 2k. If I recall its like 15 or 20 or something like that.