Vinyl Color Process (Okna v. Revere)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
LeakyWindows

Vinyl Color Process (Okna v. Revere)

#1 Post by LeakyWindows »

I am considering Okna Insul-tec or Revere's Berkshire Elite. I need a light tan on outside for HOA and wish for white on inside.

Okna says they have to paint both sides of the window, one white and one light tan. This process lowers the warranty significantly.

Revere's vinyl comes in beige that is colored through and through and could meet my HOA color requirement. For the inside, Revere would laminate white vinyl on top of the beige color.

Doesn't the Revere process sound more durable? Thank you for any thoughts!!

HomeSealed

Re: Vinyl Color Process (Okna v. Revere)

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The info that you've received is not accurate. Both sides of the window would not be painted, only the exterior. This is a pretty common situation. In addition, the warranty of the window is not affected, the color coating simply has its own warranty which is 10 years for most products including vinyl, wood, and fiberglass. Exterior color coatings have come along way, and are widely used with no durability concerns at this point.
Is a laminated interior more durable than an exterior coating? Probably a little bit, but again, both are proven. The issue is such that I would not give it much weight in your decision.
Last edited by HomeSealed on Thu May 12, 2016 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Okna most certainly does offer a beige in/ out. Ive used them before.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Not sure what series from Alside the Revere is? The OKNA will outperform it in every category, however any window of any material exposed to extreme temperatures (heat) and UV exposure can really affect colored windows regardless if they're extruded or painted.

I don't like painted sliders as the the manufacturer must used pigmented weep covers as their factory paint will not hold to it as the material is different of that of the window and has a hinged moving bug/air flap.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Delaware Mike wrote:Not sure what series from Alside the Revere is?
The Revere Berkshire Elite is a relabeled Mezzo... Revere is another AMI nameplate.

Maconi

#6 Post by Maconi »

I just ordered an Okna vinyl sliding door (Elegante) from America's Window. They said they don't do 2-tone anymore (I thought they meant Okna in general but I guess maybe it's just them?) due to issues with the paint being too easy to scratch or something like that. :?:

I was going to do Almond exterior and White interior but ended up having to go all Almond.

LeakyWindows

#7 Post by LeakyWindows »

Maconi wrote:I just ordered an Okna vinyl sliding door (Elegante) from America's Window. They said they don't do 2-tone anymore (I thought they meant Okna in general but I guess maybe it's just them?) due to issues with the paint being too easy to scratch or something like that. :?:

I was going to do Almond exterior and White interior but ended up having to go all Almond.
I am being told the same thing from Okna about paint scratching. That I should not raise the half screen to avoid scratching. I guessed this meant that I must also avoid sliding the double hung windows too - a movable window that I shouldn't move.

LeakyWindows

#8 Post by LeakyWindows »

Delaware Mike wrote:Not sure what series from Alside the Revere is? The OKNA will outperform it in every category, however any window of any material exposed to extreme temperatures (heat) and UV exposure can really affect colored windows regardless if they're extruded or painted.

I don't like painted sliders as the the manufacturer must used pigmented weep covers as their factory paint will not hold to it as the material is different of that of the window and has a hinged moving bug/air flap.
Revere (Berkshire Elite) proposes to make the window in almond/beige color, and laminate the interior with white vinyl. Said the process layers white vinyl on top of the almond/beige. Anybody have experience with an interior laminate process for color? Anyone even heard of it?

Okna didn't mention it.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

My first Soft-Lite Imperial sample prior to the launch of the LS and Elements platform back in like 2004 was a tan exterior with white laminate interior. I still have it tucked away in the basement. Kind of neat. Sorry, I never ordered or installed a window optioned that way.

90% of my colored exterior windows that feature a white interior to match trim casings were with Sunrise as they have a nice co-extrusion that I favor. I've switched to OKNA's painted exterior process and I'm pretty pleased so far. Touch up slightly here and there is kind of the industry norm. Time will tell how things hold up but I've had projects that I'm doing in stages and the exteriors still look really good. Tan/almond would tend to hold up better I would think than the darker colors over time?

My OKNA 800 series default to full screen to prevent marring and scratching of the paint. Wish I had more advice for you.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Okna does make two toned patio doors. Perhaps that dealer just prefers not to sell them. As stated above, nearly every vinyl window maker of note uses color coated exteriors these days and they are largely without issue. Full screens are typically used with coatings, as the way a screen operates does make for a potential scratching issue. There is no such issue with the sash to frame interface nor on patio door screens.... None of this is manufacturer specific. Again, standard practice with vinyl Windows.... And actually with other materials for that matter.

LeakyWindows

#11 Post by LeakyWindows »

HomeSealed wrote:Okna does make two toned patio doors. Perhaps that dealer just prefers not to sell them. As stated above, nearly every vinyl window maker of note uses color coated exteriors these days and they are largely without issue. Full screens are typically used with coatings, as the way a screen operates does make for a potential scratching issue. There is no such issue with the sash to frame interface nor on patio door screens.... None of this is manufacturer specific. Again, standard practice with vinyl Windows.... And actually with other materials for that matter.

I really appreciate you weighing in on potential scratch from opening/closing windows.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Part of the reason that sash operation does not cause scratches is that there is that there is "wool pile weather stripping" between the sash and frame.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

I'm not sure you need any more reassurance, but we have never had an issue with a painted window and we have been selling them for a good long while now.

They do specify a full screen and we discourage our customers from opting for the half screen because of the invalidation of the warranty on the finish, however, if you look at the edges of a half screen, you will see how and why they would be concerned about scratching.

I would argue that if a foil laminated window had the foil inside the screen track, a sliding screen would peal that surface right off as well.

LeakyWindows

#14 Post by LeakyWindows »

Windows on Washington wrote:I'm not sure you need any more reassurance, but we have never had an issue with a painted window and we have been selling them for a good long while now.

They do specify a full screen and we discourage our customers from opting for the half screen because of the invalidation of the warranty on the finish, however, if you look at the edges of a half screen, you will see how and why they would be concerned about scratching.

I would argue that if a foil laminated window had the foil inside the screen track, a sliding screen would peal that surface right off as well.
I greatly appreciate the reassurance on the paint, since I may have to go that route. On the laminate, I was told it was vinyl laminate vs. foil laminate.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

LeakyWindows wrote:I greatly appreciate the reassurance on the paint, since I may have to go that route. On the laminate, I was told it was vinyl laminate vs. foil laminate.
My pleasure.

That idea of the foil vs. vinyl is basically bunk. All the laminates are a vinyl based foil in this case. Foil is more of a descriptor as to the thickness and consistency of the laminate.