Foam Seal During Installation

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
LeakyWindows

Foam Seal During Installation

#1 Post by LeakyWindows »

I have watched videos on replacement window installation and most foam-seal around and inbetween the shims. Videos show that the foam is injected from the inside and again from the outside.

Some of the window representatives say that they foam-seal as routine, while a minority seemed to think it wasn't needed or was unusual. I like the foam-seal process. What is your experience with foam-seal?

The Pella guy says they use a foil-wrap and then foam-seal - but perhaps because he was talking about his aluminum clad wood windows.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Foam Seal During Installation

#2 Post by masterext »

Foam is a good thing but dont get caught up in watching video's. Some of those video's are actually counter productive as well as overkill and unrealistic.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

I’m a firm believer in closed cell foam been applied around the perimeter of new windows. Proper applications of a professional grade closed cell minimally-expanding foam provides an outstanding air and moisture barrier, makes the house a little quieter, and provides support for the caulking which helps prevent cracking.

The installer must know what they’re doing though, or it could become a disaster.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

randy wrote:I’m a firm believer in closed cell foam been applied around the perimeter of new windows. Proper applications of a professional grade closed cell minimally-expanding foam provides an outstanding air and moisture barrier, makes the house a little quieter, and provides support for the caulking which helps prevent cracking.

The installer must know what they’re doing though, or it could become a disaster.
Can't add much to that. :D