Burris Tectview v. JeldWen Premium

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cac

Burris Tectview v. JeldWen Premium

#1 Post by cac »

This whole window thing is way more complicated than I thought it would be! I have 2 bids. One for Burris Tectview AC, soundproof glass, double pane, 3 coat 3666, low E glass/argon gas fill (5 windows). I have another bid for Jeld-Wen Premium one-lite low "E" insulated single hung (5 windows). They are $1000 apart. I had no idea there were so many different types of windows and choices. I started researching and then got even more confused. We really just need an upgrade from the cheap stuff that they used when they built our house. They bow..some don't open well now and we can hear everything outside. We are only doing the windows in the back of the house. This is a test to see if changing the windows will actually make a difference in the sound. I know it makes a difference on who installs. I THINK either installer will be fine...one of the installers can use any window we choose (the one that suggested Burris)....but I just want a good basic window that is better than what we currently have (I have no clue what is on our windows now...cheap builders grade probably.) Thank you for any guidance. I'm in the Dallas area. I know from an earlier question that Randy does not like Burris...thought maybe it had changed? I've also read that Jeld-Wen cheap windows are horrible.

randy

Re: Burris Tectview v. JeldWen Premium

#2 Post by randy »

I’m still not a fan.

Ask the contractor who will install any window to quote NT Energy Master or Presidential. While not top shelf, both windows are better choices than what you’ve had quoted. Simonton 5500 would be another window worth quoting as a mid-grade product.

cac

#3 Post by cac »

Thank you! I will do this now!!!

cac

#4 Post by cac »

So, I've received 2 new bids...one for the NT and one for the Simonton. Both are fine in price, but in his quote he mentions that "neither of these new options comes with soundproof glass" and that he "may have to order new IGU's (glass inserts) post-production and install them in the field." I didn't think there was a "soundproof" glass and I have no idea what he is talking about. His original estimate had Burris Tectview AC windows with soundproof glass. But, now that makes me question whether or not to use this installer, even though they are ranked high on Angie's list and the BBB.

Also, in all of my new research I noticed that the NT has 2 choices on the glass. EM2 366 and EM3 366. Don't really know what this would do for me or what this is (besides looking at a picture with 3 panes?)

Simonton..."double strength" glass? Laminated? Super Spacer triple-pane I.J. krypton gas?" :?

randy

#5 Post by randy »

I don’t know what glass package he’s offering from Burris, but NT can certainly get anything that Burris can get. The best way to reduce noise is by going with laminated glass, and both NT and Simonton offer it. A less expensive way to make windows quieter is with offset glass, where one of the panes is thicker than the other. Ask the contractor what Burris’ “soundproof” glass consists of.

cac

#6 Post by cac »

O.K., so I'm working on all of this. (I did e-mail the installer and asked him what type of soundproof he was talking about). I started researching on my own and I've narrowed it down to these. I have no idea what half this stuff is, or if I'm looking at it right. BTW, I truly appreciate all the help you are giving me. This was really supposed to be an easy project and I am just so glad you have been able to point me in the right direction.

NT Energy Master
single hung (3) picture (2)
Double Strength
EM2 366 and EM3 366?
Triple Glaze (is this laminated?)
Double Low-E
Double Strength
Foam filled frame & sash
Creme white
no grid

Simonton 5500
single hung (3) picture (2)
Double strength
Laminated
(no option...so I think their frames and sash are foam filled?)
no grid
White

randy

#7 Post by randy »

NT Energy Master (solid mid grade window)

Double Strength (⅛” thick glass which is standard for NT)

EM2 366 and EM3 366 (I don’t know what this is. I assume it is designating Cardinal’s Low-E366 which is standard.)

Triple Glaze (no laminated, and no quantifiable sound reduction improvement over double)

Double Low-E (not a clear designation since Low-E366 was listed earlier, which is a triple coat)

Foam filled frame & sash (slight improvement over hollow chambers)

If the Simonton is being quoted with laminated glass, it will offer significantly better noise reduction than the NT with triple glaze glass. Simonton does not offer foam filled frames to my knowledge.

cac

#8 Post by cac »

I had pretty much decided on the NT Energy Master and did find that they had a laminated option. But the installer said that he spoke with the NT rep and that the response they are getting on the laminated "has not been great" and is really not helping with the sound. Current quote on the NT Energy Master (sans laminate) $3,180

He recommended the Simonton 5500. The Simonton 5500 only comes as a double hung, as far as I can tell. Which is fine, and probably better for the 2nd floor. I haven't gotten a quote yet for the laminated version, but right now 3 double hungs and 2 picture windows are quoted at $3600.00 (sans laminate).

But...in looking over all of the other responses...I keep seeing the window Okna 500 as maybe even a better option. I got on their website and loved the foamed frame. The reviews and opinions seem to be that it is a step up from Simonton 5500 and NT Energy Master and not as "outdated". It sounds like they are one step up for the Simonton 5500 and NT Energy Master.

Is it worth the extra $$ to get the Simonton 5500 laminated (I know I don't have a price yet, but I bet we are now closer to $4,000)?

If I'm going to pay the extra $$, should I consider the Okna? (even though I don't have a price yet...which, of course, I would get before I make a decision).

Or am I just as o.k. getting the NT Energy Master, no laminate?

Again, I'm really appreciating your guidance. I wish you were here in the Dallas area!

randy

#9 Post by randy »

I know it gets confusing when you’re getting conflicting advice. I also know that you like the contractor you’re dealing with. Without having met him though, I have to say that I doubt his story about the NT rep saying they haven’t had good response with laminated glass for noise reduction. The sales manager for NT (Dennis Northcutt) would probably be happy to speak with you if you call and ask for him. Laminated glass always makes a significant difference over standard glass.

Simonton is a decent mid-grade vinyl window, and they typically offer laminated glass for less than just about anybody else as they seem to buy it in bigger quantities. If they come in cheaper than NT, I would probably go that route (between those two brands).

Okna is a far superior product to either NT or Simonton, however, I don’t think they have a dealer in the DFW area at this time.

It’s hard to say whether or not you need laminated glass without being there to hear the level of noise you’re contending with. If you purchase new windows with standard glass and the noise is still bothersome, you’ll be kicking yourself for not upgrading to laminated. If you get laminated and you still hear some noise you’ll at least know that you did all you could.

While it would most likely cost you a bit more, you could also just do one bedroom initially and see how much difference it makes before you invest in the rest.

gti16vman

#10 Post by gti16vman »

I can chime in and say that Okna vinyl is not available in DFW. I called them and checked. Gulf Coast Windows and Doors sells their Starmark composite windows, though. The only premium we have is Sunrise and from my experience, very pricey.