Schuco tilt & turn slider outside handles

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ewl

Schuco tilt & turn slider outside handles

#1 Post by ewl »

We had a Schuco tilt and turn slider installed in place of our old sliding patio door. It wasn't until I went out on the deck to fire up the BBQ that I realized that (a) there is no handle or anything on the outside of the door and (b) if you slide it back into the "tilt" position, you can't get back into the house at all! Is this door supposed to have a handle?

And, does Schuco give out written warranties? Should I have been given one? :roll:

WindDoze

#2 Post by WindDoze »

The first time I saw that patio door was in Schuco's own demonstration trailer -- and I noticed the same thing! I was told that an exterior handle is available, but the dealer has to specifically order it, it isn't standard (stupid I know!) I'll bet your dealer didn't know this since the product is so new. It's also on your dealer to provide you with a warranty.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

This new european product line is a mystery to most of the dealers so it is no surprise the dealer may not have known he has to order the outside handle. The good thing for you is that the solution is as easy as talking to your dealer and having him get you an outside handle.
Anyone who picks up a recently published brochure knows as much as we dealers do about the product specifications on the new line or what they look like. Hopefully, Schuco will get on the ball and provide us some support on these new products in a hurry. Until they do, I'm not selling them and will stay with just the traditional doublehungs, sliders, casements, etc. I think most dealers feel the same way.

WindDoze

#4 Post by WindDoze »

I'll second that sentiment. I'm not selling them either...the extended wait period, no exterior screens, no exterior handles on patio doors...I've heard nothing but problems on this board. I'll wait until the bugs are worked out on someone else's dime. :wink:

InfoSponge

#5 Post by InfoSponge »

Is there any information about these doors on their web site? Does anyone know how I can get more information on them or even just a picture? What are they selling for - $3000, $4000, more?

My wife is interested in a tilting slider, but they are hard to find. We would need to wait until they have a screen ready, because that is a big reason we're replacing some french doors.

ewl

#6 Post by ewl »

Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely be asking my dealer to order the exterior handle.

Are there exterior screens for this door too? I sure hope so, otherwise we'd never have bought it!