windows just installed...exterior trim question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nalyd61

windows just installed...exterior trim question

#1 Post by nalyd61 »

Hi Everyone,
I have the simonton 9800s installed today. The installer initially said I should have the outside trim.wrap redone. He is now saying it is not needed. My questions is the piece of wood(jam) that the window is up against will now be exposed. When we had the storms it was protected. Will this rot when exposed tp rain and snow? Would the new trim wrap around that peice of wood?
Thank you

chris

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I would imagine you are already paying for the wrap in your installation price?
If the existing wrap is really great looking, they could just wrap the stops and leave the rest alone. They do need to be covered though one way or the other.

If this installer just works for the company you bought the windows from, I would get them involved right away. No installer should not be cutting down the amount of work done or be changing the contract agreement without prior permission from you and his superiors. I would get very angry if one of my men decided the customer didn't need something I specified on the contract and cut it out on his own without contacting me first. After he contacted me, it would then be my job to talk with the homeowner if I felt it didn't need to be done.

If your installer is personally who you contacted the work with, then I would suggest you negotiate a partial refund since wrapping stops takes very little material and labor compared to a full wrap. .

nalyd61

#3 Post by nalyd61 »

the wrap would be done by someone else. The guy putting the windows in charged me 150 per window to install. His buddy specializes in the siding and does the wrapping for him on his jobs. The other was scheduled to come today as well but it's raining so he was planning on coming tomorrow. I basically paid 390 per window for the 9800's installed. + 700 for the wrapping if needed?
I think he is just trying to save me some money. However he said he didn't think the outside wood needed to be covered? I think I will go ahead with the wrapping. No wood should be exposed right?