What can anyone tell me about Home Craftsman 8100 windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
curetsky

What can anyone tell me about Home Craftsman 8100 windows?

#1 Post by curetsky »

I had a company quote me windows, better price than another I had give me a quote. Looks like the windows they are quoting are Home Craftsman 8100 (owned by Ply Gem?) single hung, double glaze, LowE, argon filled, vinyl frame windows. They claim they have very high energy efficiency ratings and will also block out a lot more noise (anything will block out more noise than the original aluminum frame, single pane windows I have). Can anyone give me any information on these and whether they are good replacement windows?

randy

Re: What can anyone tell me about Home Craftsman 8100 windows?

#2 Post by randy »

It’s not a quality product at all. If it’s a home you intend to stay in for more than five years, I’d look for a better product to purchase. It’s really not a window that most professionals would sell and install.

curetsky

#3 Post by curetsky »

randy wrote:It’s not a quality product at all. If it’s a home you intend to stay in for more than five years, I’d look for a better product to purchase. It’s really not a window that most professionals would sell and install.
Thank you for that input. What about Wincore 5400 by comparison?

Thank you.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd be very careful about believing the subjective statements of window salesmen. Look at the performance ratings. That will tell you how energy efficient they will actually be. There are ratings for sound transmittance as well, although how airtight the window is will also be a significant player in that. The air infiltration (AI) rating will tell you that part

As far as my opinion, I agree with randy. I'd encourage you though to get familiar with the data aspect for future comparisons.

randy

#5 Post by randy »

It’s better than the HC.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

The Wincore is a decent window. It is an unapologetic copy of the Simonton and is therefore subject to some of the same weak points (bulky extrusion, aesthetics, medium air infiltration numbers, etc.) of it parent window.

curetsky

#7 Post by curetsky »

Any better suggestions for the Houston area? I've read a lot of reviews and ratings , but I feel I'm no wiser than before in this matter. Thanks.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

In Houston...only one guy I can recommend in randy.

He has answered some of your questions and you can click on his name to get a quote. I don't know that he has a supremely budget orientated product, but there isn't a better pro in the state of Texas.