Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Replacement window choices - confused...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:23 pm 

I am located in the NW suburbs of Chicago and I am in the middle of getting new siding so I asked about replacing my windows and patio door. I am not looking for a top end window but a quality window at an affordable price. I have lived in the house for 20 years but will be downsizing within the next 5 years.

The siding contractor can install double hung RBS Performance Plus double pane, argon filled, double hung windows - U- Value of 0.29, SHGC of 0.28. 9 Windows would be $2849.00 plus labor of $1125.00, the sliding door would be another $697.00 with an additional $300 for installation. So $4,971 total.

I received another quote for New Era windows. Again double hung, argon filled with a U-factor of 0.27 and SHGC of 0.21. They quoted at $7,200.

Lastly, semi national chain came over $10,000. They proposed a triple pane window argon filled window.

What I do not know is if the performance differences between #1 and #2 will justify the additional $2,200 out of pocket cost.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Replacement window choices - confused...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:38 am 

The first quote is at a number that is never indicative of a quality product or installation to be honest.

The best resource that I can recommend in the Chicago area would be to talk to Dave (i.e. Window4U). You can find him here: http://www.vinyl-replacement-windows.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6705

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:52 pm 

+1 on talking to Dave. Excellent resource down there...

On the other options, I'm not crazy about either. The RBS is more economy grade IMO and is not Energy Star qualified (.27 u factor or lower for Northern region is the most common qualifier).
On New Era, I believe that is a co-op or something like that stemming from the old Republic windows factory, which has changed hands and names a few times since. Frankly I don't know a ton about that window that they are putting out, but I also wouldn't personally want to touch that situation with all of the turmoil in recent years. That said, I'd look deeper into that if you are interested, I don't have all of the facts on it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:11 am 

Go for double hung sliding windows which are perfect and can give you long lasting experience.