Patio Door Slider - Provia or Okna

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
countryliving

Patio Door Slider - Provia or Okna

#1 Post by countryliving »

Hi everyone, I am looking into a new patio door. It seems that both Provia and Okna are pretty highly regarded. Can anyone discuss pros and cons between these two? The door I will be replacing is 72 x 80 basement walkout. It is hard to find numbers like U-factor on a door like this.

Also, one concern for me is how wide an opening will I have with respect to each door. This is a door I will occasionally need to move major appliances through (washer, dryer, furnace equipment etc.). I will need a minimum of 28 inch opening for these appliances.

Another thing is the screen. Provia has a hanging screen from the top, not sure about Okna. Is a hanging screen a desirable thing?

Thank you for your input.

Windows on Washington

Re: Patio Door Slider - Provia or Okna

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Both are well regarded brands.

A 6' SGD will give you an opening size of 27.75" without modification. You can take off the hardware and open it all the way up as well as remove the panel with the proper tools.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Both are good to great. I personally prefer the Okna model primarily due to the welded frame where the Provia is mechanically fastened. That is not a deal breaker IMO, but I try to stay away from mechanical fastening on vinyl products wherever possible. Those seams can open over time creating potential air or water infiltration, this is why vinyl windows went to fusion welding. The frame is admittedly less of a concern in this regard however than the sash panels would be. The provia has a top hung screen, the Okna has rollers on both top and bottom. Both of those designs are good to prevent binding.
If these are offered through different dealers, I'd add installation quality and dealer reputation into your decision making process as again, they are both good products.

As far as the clearance, the Okna can go a little past 28" if you remove the rubber bumpers that are installed with the intent to protect the hardware. I'm not sure of the clearance on the Provia

countryliving

#4 Post by countryliving »

Thanks for the information but odd that no one is familiar with the Provia opening clearance? Anyhow, I have another question about the critical numbers for each brand.

Consider a standard 72x80" sliding door with two glass panes, argon gas, soft low-E coating, and most energy efficient spacers and insulation (in the frames) can you specify for each brand (Provia and Okna):

1. U value
2. SHGC
3. Visible transmittance
4. Condensation Resistance
5. Air infiltration
6. Water penetration mph
7. Structural integrity mph
8. estimated R value

Thanks you!

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

I can guess that the clearance on the Provia is going to be +/- 1-2" of the Okna, but if you want a real number...you are going to have to call Provia or the dealer that presented you with that product. They should have that number handy.

#1 & #8 are the same data point.

The remaining items can be compared via the NFRC label and the AAMA test report. Like the opening clearance, both of those should be readily available via your dealers on both products.

I can tell you about the Okna (given that is one of the SGD that we sell), but I personally have not sold a Provia SGD and I also don't know how they are quoting the Okna (i.e. options) so I cannot tell you what the NFRC data would be without knowing some options.

countryliving

#6 Post by countryliving »

I haven't spoken to a dealer yet. So what options do you need to know about?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Easiest thing to do in order to get most of that data would be to ask them for the CPD (Certified Products Directory) Number. The CPD# gives you all the thermals, VT, SGHC, and other NFRC data.

After that, ask they for the AAMA data on the structural testing.

countryliving

#8 Post by countryliving »

Just thought I would give an update. I went with the Provia Endure vinyl patio doors with triple glaze- LowE with krypton gas. That puts the U-factor down to 0.18, SHGC is 0.25, VT is 0.42 and Condensation resistance is 67. I believe the Air Infiltration is .04. They are exquisite doors. The sliding function is phenomenal considering I can slide them with one finger, if desired, even with triple paned panels. The locking mechanism feels very secure too. I had them installed by a contractor I knew who previously installed Provia doors for me. Let the cold winds of winter blow, ha ha, I am ready. I must say I wish I didn't have to fly in the dark, so to speak, about this patio door adventure. There is very little to actually look at online about either Provia or Okna. I looked for youtube videos but they were scarce. I looked at online forums like this and others but info was still limited and somewhat cryptic by those who responded. Anyhow, I can recommend this door to anyone who might be considering the Provia sliders. I think it is well made and it has an attractiveness about it that I was pleasantly happy to see on installation day.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

Thank you for posting back a review on the ProVia slider. That's one nice door for sure. I've not had a chance to sell and install one yet. Regarding the youtube type of stuff, perhaps it's time I take my new GoPro Hero 5 out of the box and figure that darn thing out and post up some install videos with narration since folks are having a hard time finding this stuff.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Good feedback countryliving. That door should serve you well... Our apologies if you perceived any of our advice as "cryptic". We take great pride in objectivity around here... Perhaps if anything its because this is a relatively new product from Provia and there's not a ton of experience with it as such... Again though, by all accounts that if seen and heard so far it should be a good choice.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

The krypton up charge must have been spendy.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Thank you for taking the time to come back to the site and give some follow up feedback.

I promise you that it will help some folks in the future and your efforts to contribute to the forum are very much appreciated.

Have a great weekend and enjoy that new door!!