Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Okna 500 vs 600 (or 800)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:29 am 

We're close to deciding to buy Okna instead of Marvin/Integrity/Infinity or Andersen 400/A/Ultrex. I really like the Okna dealer in my town too. He recommends the 500 over the 800, saying that unless you like the looks of the 800, the 500 performs basically just as well (slightly higher air infiltration, but slightly lower U value -- both of these are very slight). However, I forgot to discuss the 600 series with him.

Are there any benefits to the 600 series over the 500 series?

I can't find any good comparison between these windows.

Post subject: Re: Okna 500 vs 600 (or 800)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:22 am 

Your installer is mostly right. I still prefer the 800 for the additional design pressure (60 vs. 50), reinforcement, and magnetic weatherstripping.

The 600 series does have reinforcement as well as a hardware option on the top sash as well as the reinforcement in the sash. The data between it and the 500 is basically identical.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:00 am 

Both the 600 series and 800 series will have structural reinforcement while the 500 does not have that option. Both also have a lock keeper that is fully embedded into the top sash whereas the 500 and 400 are not.
The 600 will have a more narrow frame than the 800 which allows some more glass.
The 600 and 800 also have sill interlocks while the 500 does not.
The 800 has a magnetic seal at the sill and the 600 has a Qlon type seal at the sill.
Both the 600 series and 800 come with a variety interior woodgrain options and hardware options.
All 3 are good windows though depending on your budget.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:21 am 

Splitting hairs on performance ct. They are all elite level. The 800 is bullet proof, and that would be my choice, but the other two are still excellent and better than the vast majority of other windows on the market... The three lines do have some various differences as far as available options (mainly colors), so that could push you in one direction or another based on what you need.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:32 am 

Well, I had a nice long post...until my computer freaked out and I lost it all.

Anyway, my wife and I went to see Marvin/Integrity Wood Ultrex, which is a fiberglass exterior glued to a wood interior. Then immediately drove to the Okna dealer. My wife liked the 800 the best, as she liked the handles better. Comparing the two:

1) Integrity is better looking, the outside is smooth and the inside is wood, and the outside of the window assembly protrudes less than the Okna. The corners of the Okna windows look a bit cheesy and the wood finish on the Okna is not nearly as nice as the actual wood on the Integrity. The outside of the Okna is too "busy", and my wife actually liked the looks of the outside of the 900 series better, as it's plainer.

2) The Okna is better designed than the Integrity, with two locking mechanisms instead of one, two seals everywhere the Integrity has one, and a small screen, which we plan to use in the summer but then put in the top of the windows (for double hung). Supposedly, the glass is better performing in the Okna also. The engineer in me sides with the Okna just due to its better engineering features.

We selected the Okna 800, as we needed white interiors and white exteriors, and we rarely look at our windows. Our windows are covered on the interior of the house with cellular shades, and the current windows are covered with full length screens on the outside. We never see the windows. From our perspective, the 800 series is great for our purposes. The outside does protrude more than the Integrity windows, but this is how they generate the better overall energy efficiency. If we needed a "showpiece" window or staining on the inside of the window (and we didn't care about window performance), we'd get the Marvin/Integrity Wood Ultrex. Since we care more about performance, and the Oknas are just fine for us in terms of looks, we went with the Oknas.

If we could advise Okna as to what to improve, the corners of the windows could be less noticeable, the outside less "busy". And if they wanted to make a really high end window, adding a wood interior to their current window, if possible, would be good.

So, we chose the Okna 800 series over the Marvin Integrity (both lines)/Infinity, Andersen A, 400 (tilt wash or woodwright). I don't have direct price comparisons between the windows, though, as most dealers price the entire "package" and our package differed between dealers. I can compare Infinity windows versus Okna, and the Infinity windows were much, much more expensive.

Personally, if I wanted to dress up our house (what my friend used to call "polishing a turd"), I would sink money into a nice front door and landscaping. That's what I notice about houses, not windows. These things are on our list, but our window trim is rotting and our current windows are terrible, so we had to put windows highest on the list. Next, attic insulation, doors, then more windows. Ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:11 am 

Thanks for the feedback. The manufacturers of several of these products discussed do read the forums and feedback from the end users so your constructive feedback does not fall on deaf ears.

I agree with you about the exterior having a tendency to look "busy" with the cove details, but there is a method to the madness in this case. All of those details are actually improving the structure of the frame and ultimate design pressure of the window. Go figure.

Keep us posted how the installation goes and we always love to see before and after pictures on the completed projects if you are so inclined.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:32 am 

Believe it or not, the overwhelming majority of home owners i come in contact with prefer the colonial coved moulding on the exterior. It adds a nice design and makes it appear more higher end than a tradition exterior. Thats one reason the higher end companies opt for a nice exterior design.
Whenever i would show a window that had just a basic exterior, they would always complain it looked too plain, boring, and cheap.

Last edited by masterext on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:51 am 

Ct, great choice, and great post. You have broken down the classic conundrum between wood and vinyl which has been discussed many times. Aesthetics vs performance (and cost). In my experience (and it sounds like yours), a higher end vinyl window does enough on the looks side of the equation to make it a winner for most homeowners.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:54 pm 

Hi All,

I don't doubt that many people prefer the "fancier" looks of the 800 say over the 500 or other windows. These were comments made by my wife, and I think I echo her comments. When it comes to style, it's always up to the eye of the beholder. My wife did like the looks of the 900 series (on the outside) better, so she liked the simpler aspect.

For me, as an engineer, I understand some of the reasons behind the exterior, and how that works into the function of the window. So, while I think it could be simpler, I'd rather have the functionality provided by the various curves and extensions into the exterior.

We whittled our choice from a lot of windows down to two, the Integrity Wood Ultrex and the Okna. The all-fiberglass windows (all ultrex and Infinity) appeal to me on the logical level, but the Infinity were way too expensive and just looked OK, and we decided to go with overall performance. From my review of everything including seeing the windows, the Okna just seem better designed overall.

I'll try to take before pictures this weekend. The difference should be shocking (with any window, honestly), as the trim on a lot of the windows we selected in this first phase is terrible. Also, the weatherstripping for several of the windows we are having done is physically hanging out the window.