Okna, Sunrise or Great Lakes, need advice

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Rickster

Okna, Sunrise or Great Lakes, need advice

#1 Post by Rickster »

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger for my replacement windows, but have a couple of questions, window sizes are (1) 79x60 and (3) 53x39, all of them will be sliders with the prairie perimeter style grid. I called out quit a few companies to see what everyone offered but only 4 came out..

Quotes...
Okna dealer 1... The Okna 800 3-lite slider in a 1/3-1/3-1/3 configuration with grids is $859 installed, the 3 2-lite sliders using the Okna 500DXs are $556 each.

Okna dealer 2...Furnish & Install (1) Okna 5500 Series New construction 3-lite sliding window, deluxe package, foam filled frames, High Performance Low-E argon glass, white interior, white exterior, Thruvision Plus Screens, Contour Perimeter grids, EZSLIDE tract for easier operation.

Furnish & Install (3) Okna 5500 Series New Construction Double Hung windows deluxe package, foam filled frames, High Performance Low-E argon glass, white interior, white exterior, Thruvision Plus Screens, Contour Perimeter grids

Exterior:

(1) Remove the siding from the side wall to Install windows and tape the nail flanges. Furnish & Install new white vinyl J-Channel reinstall existing vinyl siding.

(2)Remove the boards from around the windows in the front of the house to install windows, tape the nail flanges, Install new boards and cap with Aluminum trim coil for maintenance free finish.

Interior:

(1) Insulate around the perimeter of the window with non-expanding window and door foam.

(2) Furnish & Install a white cove trim molding around the perimeter of the window

Remove & dispose of all of the old windows Furnish Permit

Total Price ($3,075.00) these are new construction type windows

Dealer 3... Ply Gem windows,pocket replacements, $4675, this guy couldn't tell me what window series it was other than it was the top of the line, I asked him about Sunrise windows and he said they are out of business, I should have pulled up their web sight right in front of him.

Dealer 4... Sunrise tilt in $5350
Sunrise lift out $5100
Great Lakes $5350
This guy said the same thing that they are top of the line windows and really didn't know what series they were even though he was an installer for 15 years with this company.

So I'm leaning towards dealer 2 only because he was more in depth when he came out and his company is the only one out of all of them that do not sub contract the work out and the owner is on all the jobs, I had a bad dealing with a company that uses sub contractors.

Questions...
1. why would Okna dealer 1 recommend the enviro-star for the larger window and the Insul-Tec for the others?

2. I'm being told that if ordered within a couple weeks that I'm looking at the first or second week in Dec. for install, is there any problems I should be concerned with having them installed in the winter (live south of Chicago ) ie: window tape, sealant, foam, etc.

Sorry for being so long but your input is greatly appreciated, :D

Rick

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna, Sunrise or Great Lakes, need advice

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you liked #2's approach, you can't go wrong with either product. Both will serve you well and if you are more comfortable with that install....go that route.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Sounds like you like #2, and its a good product, so I think you have a nice choice there.

A few other observations:

-Avoid tilt in sliders like the plague. Service call waiting to happen, they are leakers, etc.

-Great Lakes is not what they were years ago before being bought by Plygem IMO. You could do worse, but they aren't really in this discussion for me with Okna and Sunrise. I'd also avoid someone that can't reference the model that they are proposing, and says a company is out of business that clearly is not.

-On the Okna sliders, the 800 may be needed due to the size. It has a larger max size than the 500.

-EZ slide is a good choice.

-Weather: Windows can be installed year-round. Most of the caulks, foams, etc are approved for installation below a temperature where installers will be comfortable and mindful of quality. Single digits? We are sitting home. 20's and 30's? No problem.

-Lastly, be careful about choosing based on how the installers pay their taxes. There are great installers that are "subs", great installers that are employees, and great installers that are owner-operators. Having had the opportunity to be BE, and USE all three, there are pros and cons to each. A good company is a good company though. The reputation of the business, reviews, history, etc will be a better indicator of thee quality that you can expect.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

As a owner operator , with employees that sum times uses subs I like #2.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Why a 1/3 1/3 1/3 instead of a 50/50.
If the foam comes in a can it is low expansion, low pressure, window and door foam.

Rickster

#6 Post by Rickster »

Well I gave the job to Okna dealer #2, (no surprise right), he came back out to take final measurements for the job and reassured me that all material are ok to use in the colder weather, He said that the new windows will be inside my house keeping warm as they prep the outside. I also mentioned that I saw online that some installers were placing a pan under the window sill and has agreed to install them at no extra cost (said it would be a good idea and adds another layer of protection)

TheWindowNerd..... our front window is currently 2 side by side double hungs , we looked at the 50/50 slider and to us it looks similar in style, the 1/3 1/3 1/3 gives the front of the house a different look, avoiding the tilt in sliders like the plague :) that just sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.

Have checked a couple of the jobs that dealer #2 has done in my area and they seem happy with the job that was done on their house, I try and remember to take before, during and after pictures.

Thanks everyone for you input and easing my mind. :mrgreen: