Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Taylor Door
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:51 pm 

Anyone heard of the Taylor Door...how do they compare to HMI doors?

Post subject: Re: Taylor Door
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:26 am 

Haven't used them. Do you have a link?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:27 am 

I know both doors/ brands very well. HMI is a much higher quality.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:03 am 

Not sure if Taylor offers finished assemblies as well (I assume that they do based on the question), but my experience with them has been with their slabs which are used by several manufacturers. They are solid with nice features... That said, the slab is a very small part of a door assembly. The frame, finish, and assembly tolerances are what separate a great door from a not so great door in most cases. For instance, you can buy a nice looking entry door at a home store, however they are typically slapped together which creates great difficulty in installation, as well as long term operational issues...

The long and the short of all that is that Taylor makes a good slab, but I can't speak to their finished and assembled entry systems and that is really where the rubber meets the road on quality.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:12 am 

We may be talking about 2 different doors homesealed. Taylor door is located in NJ and its an average door i guess but not up there with HMI and Provia. I just recently viewed Taylor less than a week ago.
You just cant beat the security features and strength of HMI and Provia.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:30 am 

I used to sell a 22-guage steel door blank from Taylor Door manufactured for a local door plant to the South Philly area until I picked up ProVia. Very similar door blank to ProVia's Legacy steel and it's a quality product if we are talking about the same product.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:09 am 

Its a differnt Taylor door. Taylor door in NJ does not offer a 22 guage steel door. There is or was another Taylor door manufacturer in another state. The one in NJ have lower end steel doors and maybe an average fiberglass.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:13 am 

Its a differnt Taylor door. Taylor door in NJ does not offer a 22 guage steel door. There is or was another Taylor door manufacturer in another state. The one in NJ have lower end steel doors and maybe an average fiberglass.
The Taylor that makes a 22 guage steel is called "Taylor entrance systems" and they are located in the state of Michigan. There doors are pretty good.
22 guage is commercial grade steel. Provia and hmi go one step further and make 20 guage steel. Again, a different company from the one in NJ.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:53 pm 

masterext wrote:
The Taylor that makes a 22 guage steel is called "Taylor entrance systems" and they are located in the state of Michigan. There doors are pretty good.
22 guage is commercial grade steel. Provia and hmi go one step further and make 20 guage steel. Again, a different company from the one in NJ.

That's exactly right. I was referring to the one out of MI.... And again, I don't know about their assembled, finished systems, but their slabs are pretty well respected. I also agree that a 22 or 20 gauge slab is ideal on a steel unit.