Reasonable price on large Okna Starmark 900 windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tjcarst

Reasonable price on large Okna Starmark 900 windows?

#1 Post by tjcarst »

2 Windows.

Opening approximately 81.5 wide by 38 high.

$5000.

toddinmn

Re: Reasonable price on large Okna Starmark 900 windows?

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Vague details usually gets vague answers or both.
Sounds high, but maybe not.
Full frame install,inserts, is it 30 feet in the air over a busy sidewalk, are they doing any modification of anything, what are the options on the Windows, and the list goes on...

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

^^^What he said. At 81" wide there is a big difference if that is say a casement/picture/casement, vs one big 2 lite slider. The former would be very reasonably priced on that window as its essentially 6 windows for $5k, and that is a very high end window. If they are 2 lite sliders, probably higher end, but again, perhaps you have a full frame install, stained laminate interiors, new casing, dropping siding for a full nail fin set, etc.... There are literally miles in between what be going on here.

tjcarst

#4 Post by tjcarst »

Sorry - 2-lite slider windows in a condo with 8 ft ceilings. No precarious install that I can see.

Replacing existing vinyl windows that are impossible to latch closed without 3 people assisting. Building new in 2005. Window frames will be removed and reinstalled, so assume full install, not insert. Will ask to be sure.

Not asking for any modification of the windows. No blinds. No stain.

I had 6 double hung windows, a patio door, and 2 hopper windows installed by same company less than two years ago for $9,500. The patio door was $2,500 in my home, so did not expect a window to be as much.

They only sell Okna Starmark 900 windows. I love mine, but not willing to pay $5,000 for two in the condo.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

If you're not willing to pay you need more bids and possibly change to a different window

tjcarst

#6 Post by tjcarst »

So I am assuming $5,000 is a good price then for 2 slider windows of 81.5 by 38 inches?

I will look at other Windows. This reseller only sells this brand and line.

There is a dealer that sells Sunrise Restoration. Anywhere close in quality/performance?

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Sounds high, essentially they are charging the same for 1 slider as 1 patio door. Could be something we're missing or maybe there just high.
I'd prefer the Okna for sure , I think the Sunrise is a little flimsy in the sash and sill.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Sounds a bit on the high end of the market but without some details on the product specs, installation, access, etc, it is nearly impossible to comment on pricing.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Have you asked the company about the price difference? Perhaps they have grown substantially in that time?... If you were happy with their service previously, there is a lot a value in that. There are a LOT a bad companies in this industry.... I'd explore that a little further, and ask for some explanation. If left unsatisfied, as suggested above, get another quote or two. The Restorations is a step down, but still a good window.

tjcarst

#10 Post by tjcarst »

There is a high upcharge for a custom color, is the reason I was given for high price of Okna.
Outside must be tan to match rest of condo. Price has been lowered to $4350 due to end of year push for sales.

Sunrise from Nebraskaland is $2500 and they tend to get positive reviews.

My Okna patio door was approx $2500, so I was surprised two slider windows were so high.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

few observations...

- $2500 is low for a high end sliding door. In fact, very low if that door has a painted exterior

- The Okna door is vinyl, the Starmark is composite. This difference should be factored as well. I'd press this company for a vinyl offering from Okna to get a more apples to apples comparison to the Sunrise quote. Depending on the interior color desired, the 500, 600, or 800 could all work.

- The Sunrise quote seems to be a bit more palatable if the Okna guy doesn't want to play ball, but AGAIN, with a huge disclaimer that our opinions here are speculation based on incomplete information. Any crazy circumstance could change that in a blink, such as being located on a 4th floor and needing a lift, or something like that.

tjcarst

#12 Post by tjcarst »

HomeSealed wrote:few observations...

- $2500 is low for a high end sliding door. In fact, very low if that door has a painted exterior

- The Okna door is vinyl, the Starmark is composite. This difference should be factored as well. I'd press this company for a vinyl offering from Okna to get a more apples to apples comparison to the Sunrise quote. Depending on the interior color desired, the 500, 600, or 800 could all work.

- The Sunrise quote seems to be a bit more palatable if the Okna guy doesn't want to play ball, but AGAIN, with a huge disclaimer that our opinions here are speculation based on incomplete information. Any crazy circumstance could change that in a blink, such as being located on a 4th floor and needing a lift, or something like that.
The Starmark company only sells Starmark. No vinyl offerings. The door at my place is standard white. I expected the quote to be less than $5,000 for two windows in this new condo using the same brand (Starmark). $4350 is more reasonable, but the Sunrise is $2500.

The condo has a drive up portico out front and this condo is right above it. The top of the portico is at window level, so you look out and see the roof. Should be able to stand on the roof. No lift needed.

I have a verbal quote from both, waiting for the written quote with details to arrive. That should provide more information.

Not considering other lines of Okna, just Starmark 900, Sunrise Restoration. Outside of either must be tan (custom for Starmark), inside white.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

They can get an Okna vinyl if they want. They might not have access to all 3 lines, but they most certainly could get at least one option. IF you are interested in that option (I would be), I'd simply let them know of your intention to go with the Restorations bid unless they can do a more competitive Okna vinyl unit.

tjcarst

#14 Post by tjcarst »

They can get 800, but will not. They do not want to deal with vinyl. I went through this with them two years ago when I replaced windows in my own residence.

I have shared with them that I am looking at Softlite Elements, Sunrise Restoration, and Richlin Hayfield windows. Okna Starmark are over $1,000 more for two windows right now.

I have a custom color of tan exterior/white interior. Also a pre-attached brick moulding due to commercial building (condo).

Low-e, argon filled Omega 12 glass on all, foam filled (except Starmark)

tjcarst

#15 Post by tjcarst »

I have quotes on Sunrise Restoration and Okna Starmark.

The local Soft-Lite Elements dealer no longer sells Soft-Lite, Only Richlin Hayfield. The Soft-Lite dealer is looking for another local Elements reseller.

An hour away, a dealer sells Soft-Lite Imperial LS, but not Elements.

I read that there are some differences in the two SL lines, mainly window breakage warranty and screen being better on Elements.

Anyone have any advice on Restoration vs Imperial LS? Starmark is $1200 higher than Restoration, so not likely in the running.