AMI Double Hung vs Alside Mezzo

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ddoyle

AMI Double Hung vs Alside Mezzo

#1 Post by ddoyle »

Folks I am pretty sure they are both made by the same just looking for pluses and minuses of each window. I am getting windows, siding and patio doors and there is quite a difference between two bids. Both contractors have A+ from BBB so just looking for thoughts. Thank you in advance!

Windows on Washington

Re: AMI Double Hung vs Alside Mezzo

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Which model double hung?

You are correct that both are the same parent company and there are several lines that are "re-badged" units from the same manufacturer.

For the record, there is nothing wrong with that, it just allows them to try and saturate the market a bit more with the same family of products.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Need to know which series on the AMI offering. They could literally be the exact same window.... not sure that I like the complete lack of detail from that particular guy.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

From what i understand, the AMI 8000 series is a decent window. Its only available to certain dealers though.
Last edited by masterext on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ddoyle

#5 Post by ddoyle »

The second window is the AMI 501 Direct with the Mezzo being the other. Thanks guys!

ddoyle

#6 Post by ddoyle »

""From what i understand, the AMI 8000 series is a decent window. Its only available to certain dealers though.""
Are you saying AMI Direct window is the 8000 series?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

ddoyle wrote:""From what i understand, the AMI 8000 series is a decent window. Its only available to certain dealers though.""
Are you saying AMI Direct window is the 8000 series?
No, i did not. i just said the ami 8000 is a decent windows and ONLY certain dealers offer it.

ddoyle

#8 Post by ddoyle »

So has anyone heard of the AMI 501 Direct?

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

The 500 series used to be the Sheffield if memory serves me correctly. If it still is, it is not a recommended unit in my mind.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. One thing that has yet to be mentioned is that you might consider some options outside of the AMI umbrella. You could do worse then some of their stuff, but they do not put out a product that is recognized universally as a top performer, or elite quality. They tend to have a bunch of trade-offs. The Mezzo has the best performance ratings last time I checked, but it is fairly "rackable", meaning that its not extraordinarily strong. This makes installs trickier, and also can lead to disappointing performance down the road. Its predecessor the Excalibur, may be one of the most service issue prone windows on the market. The Sheffield is an older model and has some outdated engineering including the pocket sill. Deal breaker IMO. Search "pocket sill" on here for more info as to why. It is certainly more stout than the Mezzo, but has a very bulky frame. Neither are known for having very tight manufacturing tolerances.... As Masterext alluded to, the 8000 series is probably the best window that they make in the eyes of most pros, however it is still pretty middling overall. If you take some time reading through posts on here you will notice a handful of products mentioned that are pretty widely praised, and may be available to you at a price point not all that far off.

ddoyle

#11 Post by ddoyle »

Thank you all! Appreciate the input.