What is too dark?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Gcam4

What is too dark?

#1 Post by Gcam4 »

We have decided on OKNA 600's and we are trying to decide on the glass package. If we go with an energy star rated glass (Charlotte, NC; south central) the VT goes down to 0.42. This is their Sunseal deluxe package: U = 0.25, SHGC = 0.21. Their Deluxe package has a VT of 0.55, U = 0.25, SHGC = 0.30.

Just don't know if the Sunseal pkg is worth it due to the decrease in VT. It is only a $22 increase to go with the Sunseal glass. What we don't want to have is a super dark glass that looks like it has window tent on it. The $22 is no issue and seems very reasonable.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: What is too dark?

#2 Post by masterext »

The standard 600 series glass is not dark at all. Sunseal, like other low shgc glass packages will have a darker tint. This package does have a trade off in that regard. One option would be to install sunseal in only the most sun prone part of the home. Another option, use standard climaguard . You could probably get by using standard energy efficient glass by okna in your area. If you live in arizona, sunseal would be a no brainer, but in NC, its not a necessity in my opinion.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

If you were in TX, I'd say that drop in VT is advisable for the better shgc. If you were in WI and it was due to triple pane, and had an accompanying improvement in u value as such, again, probably advisable. Given your climate and the specs presented, I personally might opt for the regular package. Save a couple bucks, windows will be brighter, and efficiency-wise it will probably be negligible.

Gcam4

#4 Post by Gcam4 »

Thanks for the information. Thinking long-term and resale value of the home do you think it's advisable to go with the sunseal? Technically the sunseal is energy star rated for this area and we're just thinking potential buyers would like that? Also, would it almost take the glass sitting side by side to tell a difference? This phase of the window replacement, we're doing them in three stages, get the most light of the whole house.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Unless you are especially sensitive to heat or light, go with the standard deluxe glass package. You aren't far enough south that you really need it.
Last edited by Windows on Washington on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Gcam4 wrote:Thanks for the information. Thinking long-term and resale value of the home do you think it's advisable to go with the sunseal? Technically the sunseal is energy star rated for this area and we're just thinking potential buyers would like that? Also, would it almost take the glass sitting side by side to tell a difference? This phase of the window replacement, we're doing them in three stages, get the most light of the whole house.
Are you planning on selling soon? The Energy Star rating is a nice thing to talk about, but if you are looking at more than a few years out before you would consider selling, its possible if not likely that they will no longer be Energy Star qualified at that time anyway as new standards are introduced. As I and the others have mentioned, the real world performance difference will be negligible. Energy Star is a nice tool to advance energy saving products, but far from perfect in its implementation

Gcam4

#7 Post by Gcam4 »

HomeSealed wrote:
Gcam4 wrote:Thanks for the information. Thinking long-term and resale value of the home do you think it's advisable to go with the sunseal? Technically the sunseal is energy star rated for this area and we're just thinking potential buyers would like that? Also, would it almost take the glass sitting side by side to tell a difference? This phase of the window replacement, we're doing them in three stages, get the most light of the whole house.
Are you planning on selling soon? The Energy Star rating is a nice thing to talk about, but if you are looking at more than a few years out before you would consider selling, its possible if not likely that they will no longer be Energy Star qualified at that time anyway as new standards are introduced. As I and the others have mentioned, the real world performance difference will be negligible. Energy Star is a nice tool to advance energy saving products, but far from perfect in its implementation
No, not planning on selling soon, it will probably be at least 5 years if not 10. We will probably just go with the deluxe package in order to get more light inside as my wife loves to open the curtains. Thanks for everyone's input, I understand the thermals, but it's hard to picture getting 10% less light in.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I think that's a good plan... If you were looking for something that would be more relevant as a sales tool 5-10 years down the road I'd say triple pane (even in your moderate climate), but if budget dictates double pane, the standard sounds like a good option.

Gcam4

#9 Post by Gcam4 »

HomeSealed wrote:I think that's a good plan... If you were looking for something that would be more relevant as a sales tool 5-10 years down the road I'd say triple pane (even in your moderate climate), but if budget dictates double pane, the standard sounds like a good option.
I would say that triples are in the budget but it just seems once you get to a certain point on a good window you are at the point of diminishing return. The 600's are $430 with standard glass, not sure where they would be with triples. Triples would also lower the VT as well. We will think about it, but I believe we have made our mind up.

countryliving

#10 Post by countryliving »

OP I just thought I would put this out there. Not trying to convince you one way or the other. But I have triple paned OKNA windows in my house which have a VT rating of 42. They are fine. They don't make the house look too dark/gloomy. They don't really change the look and color of the landscape outside when looking from within. I was hesitant to buy them initially too when I saw a 42 VT on them but really they are no problem at all in that regard. I also recently installed a triple paned patio door from Provia which is rated 42 VT, again, no problem whatsoever with the overall effect they look basically the same to me as when I had double paned patio doors with a higher VT no doubt. Bear in mind my windows and doors are using a LowE coating only and either argon or krypton gas, no other special tints are applied, my SHGC on them are around .25, just thought I should mention this also so you can compare apples to apples.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Great feedback countryliving.

Thank you for posting this up. I am sure this will help other folks in a similar evaluation predicament to take the plunge.

Thank you again. We sincerely appreciate feedback from folks that are real world consumers and have gone through the mental gymnastics to arrive at a decision. First person feedback is perfect.

Gcam4

#12 Post by Gcam4 »

Thanks for the great feedback countryliving!

It really helps to know that others don't see a 0.42 as being too dark. It does help our decision!!