Before you Buy Milgard, READ THIS

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
joe123

Before you Buy Milgard, READ THIS

#1 Post by joe123 »

I recently canceld my Milgard order for 21 windows and I was lucky to have been able to cancel in time.

First of all, I think Milgard classic windows are very well made, but one thing my wife and I noticed that nobody here has ever mentioned, is that when you look at a Milgard Classic window from the outside, the window is NOT symmetrical.

You will notice that the frame OUTSIDE the window is not symmetrical and so one side looks smaller than the other which we did not like.

Again, nothing against Milgard only the fact that they just look UGLY from the outside and wanted to point that out before you buy so that you will not be surprised like us. We were fortunate to be able to cancel in time.

joe123

#2 Post by joe123 »

I got people asking me if I know the difference between Milgard Classic verse Milgard Style line:

Here is my reply:

Yes. I know the differences between Milgard Classic and Milgard StyleLine.

Milgard StyleLine series have non-even sight lines as far as the window glass area is concerned. Which looks ugly too. Same thing for Simonton low frame windows.

Milgard Classic have even sight lines for the glass, HOWEVER, the outside FRAME is NOT symmetrical. It is uneven. Here is a picture of that (middle section):
http://www.homeglass.com/process.htm

Now, let me repeat, Milgard windows are very well built and I have nothing against them only that they just look UGLY.

I placed an order for 21 Milgard windows and was lucky to be able to cancel on time. I wished someone here would have pointed this out, the FRAME not having even sight lines on the outside and it would have saved me a lot of headaches.

Last edited by joe123 on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joe123

#3 Post by joe123 »

Here is a nice demo explaining what I am saying about even sight lines.

http://www.doorsnwindows.com/pp_web/Win ... /frame.htm

Also notice how the screen frame sits BEHIND the window frame hidden away somewhat.

Milgard screens sit in FRONT of frame FULLY exposed - yuk :( . What you see is the entire screen & screen frame showing which is not very attractive.

Here is a very good picture of a CertainTeed window and notice how the screen sits BEHIND the frame which looks a lot nicer (last picture):

http://www.doorsnwindows.com/contentDis ... id=41&s=65

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

East coast or west coast. There is one for each. They are different. It sounds like the east coast classic II.

joe123

#5 Post by joe123 »

JScott wrote:East coast or west coast. There is one for each. They are different. It sounds like the east coast classic II.

Yes, east coast. Did you see the pictures I listed above? Ugly un-symmetrical windows.

The more I look at homes in my neighborhood with these windows, the uglier they get.

JScott

#6 Post by JScott »

You should begin looking at aluminum clad wood and possibly infinty from marvin fiberglass if looks are a deal breaker. Also look at heartwood mahogany windows if you want to shell out 3-5K or more each.

JoeBeck408

#7 Post by JoeBeck408 »

even on the west coast milgard classics the outside frame is uneven. each side of glass is a different size.

Door&WindowPlus

Re: Before you Buy Milgard, READ THIS

#8 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Brands that have even sight lines:

Certainteed Somerton II and Bryn Mawr II
Amerimax
Simonton 7500
Superior Ultima
Milgard Tuscany (like it better then the old Classic line)

There are others too. Most people never notice even sightlines unless the salesman bring it up.

Windows on Washington

Re: Before you Buy Milgard, READ THIS

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yeah...and it means less glass in the lower sash.

Its a trade-off anyway you slice it.