Training For Potential Installers

A place to talk about the Window Industry
bassman

Training For Potential Installers

#1 Post by bassman »

I have been in the window treatment field (blinds, shutters, shades) for a couple of years now. After looking into the market in my area I realize that I might be able to make much better money by installing windows instead of blinds, shutters and shades. Is there some place that offers training for window installation? Thank you for your help.
Ryan

XSleeper

#2 Post by XSleeper »

Usually the window dealers themselves will offer training sessions. You might consider working part time with a window company to learn the methods first hand.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Signing up and taking AAMA Installation Masters training would be a good way to learn methodology. Many manufacturers sponsor classes.

Learning the trade will take experience, and you will hopefully work with a seasoned pro who can speed up your learning process.

One of the biggest requirements to acheiving success is learning to caulk really well. A great looking job can be ruined in a matter of seconds with a caulk gun in the hands of an unskilled installer with a caulk gun.
Good luck to you.

mman

#4 Post by mman »

I agree with Window4u. I just completed the AAMA training, and it was a great way to compliment what I already knew about installations. Apprenticing to a vet. would be a good way to start though, so you get the basics down first. Hopefully the vet. you can pair with has taken the AAMA classes already, so as not to fill your head with the incorrect process' before you take the class yourself.
Good luck

mikey105

#5 Post by mikey105 »

Window4U (IL) wrote: One of the biggest requirements to acheiving success is learning to caulk really well. A great looking job can be ruined in a matter of seconds with a caulk gun in the hands of an unskilled installer with a caulk gun.
Could you explain that a little more? Other than squeeze out in the front of the window, what do you mean? Do you differentiate between caulk and limited expansion foam?

JScott

#6 Post by JScott »

I have seen the company around the corner grow to 5-6 vans in their on-site inhome sales approach for blinds. They also assemble their blinds. With your knowledge and experience I suggest enhancing your current experience in this direction. People want service. You can give them that service.