Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-870-7321

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to remove Milgard Classic Sliding Patio Door(only doors)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:16 pm 

My walkout basement has milgard classic sliding patio door. House is brand new (10 months old). I need to move my new treadmill from Garage to basement. My treadmill is 35 inches wide but patio slider opens only around 24 inches. Does anyon know how to remove just the sliding door and fixed door? I emailed milgard and waiting for the instructions.

If anyone has better way to do this, please share with me.

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:46 pm 

rangav,

There really is no way to remove the fixed panel on the Classic door without damaging the perimeter frame of the door. Milgard uses a panel that snaps in and "locks" into position. Once they snap it into position they screw the fixed portion into the perimeter frame before they set the glass. I had a very talented service thech from Milgard pull a fixed panel from an installed door (I used to be a Milgard outside salesperson) and he cracked two of the perimeter frame corners. Pulling the fixed panel is difficult at best on an unistalled door, with an installed door being even more difficult. Milgard will tell you that it can't be done and that you need to uninstall the door if you need to move anything through it. I wish I had better news, but they are right when they tell you this. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm 

a. find another door to move the treadmill through.
b. convert the garage to a gym.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:35 pm 

What they said, I have done it many times myself and have caused no damage. It is hard to do and I do not recommend that you try it.
I have made vinyl windows and installing them for 20 years, so I know them inside out. There are tricks that make it easy for me to do it.