Windows in chicago area

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
nagsen0

Windows in chicago area

#1 Post by nagsen0 »

I live in Chicago North west subs (Schaumburg). I would like to replace 21 windows that are about 30 years old.

I got couple of quote from sears ($13,000) for their simonton windows and last week I got a quote from renewel by Anderson for about ($18000).

From what I read so far, Sears always quote more and anderson is the top quality window.

Here are my questions:
1. Are the price quoted by Sears and Anderson are fair? like everyone else, I hate to pay more.
2. Why sears is cheaper than Anderson? quality?
3. My first concern is energy efficient windows. who is the best for the buck in chicago area?

I am very new home owner and new to home improvement industry.

Please advise,

Cork55

#2 Post by Cork55 »

You might want to post this in the "window questions" forum since this is a "window review" forum. There seem to be several active posters in the Chicago area who should be able to offer some good insight to your situation.

-Cork55

rippowam

#3 Post by rippowam »

Yes, repost in the other forum.

As a general rule of thumb, Sears is thought of as pretty much a rip-off compared to just about every other window outfit.

You can choose a halfway decent window, but it'll end up costing you at least 50% more than other bids for the same window.

I bought the Alside Sheffield from Window World (they call it their 6000 model). A good mid-priced window of very good quality. The Simonton 5500 is supposed to be a comparable window.

Do a search for both of these models for everyone's thoughts.

Good Luck.

USNAT1NC1RET

#4 Post by USNAT1NC1RET »

Sears, Anderson, Pella, etc are all going to be outrageous in price. Always have been, always will be. Find a GOOD QUALITY window from a GOOD QUALITY company and you will pay a lot less for the same quality window with a better install

RACER X

#5 Post by RACER X »

nagsen, just wanted to say hello. I'm right up the road here in Lake Zurich, IL

Basically in the same boat as you... looking for windows and still have not decided on a manufacturer yet. I thought it would be Thermal industries but the responses I recieved lead me to believe that they stink. I'll have to agree with USNAT1NC1RET. those 3 will be outrageous in price. sears especially took a friend of mine for a lot of loot.

I'm currently looking at Milgard, Simonton and Greatlakes. I'll probably end up posting in the other forum.