Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Egress window
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:26 pm 

I am going to add an egress window in my house and was looking for any advice to do or not do. I have a poured foundation and the room is already finished that it will be in. I was thinking of using a 4ft x 4ft slider for this application. Home Depot had a Pella brand for 246$.
I am also going to install a egress well. Any advise would be great. Thank You.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:39 pm 

Make sure you check the clear openinng for that particular window, it may not meet egress requirements

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:23 pm 

I agree. A 48" wide slider may not give you the 20" clear opening width needed for egress. A slider doesn't open a full 50%. Plus, you subtract the frame dimension and it will be close depending on the particular brand window.

Another suggestion would be a european style tilt-n-turn window which many manufacturers carry.
It's a dual operation window that opens up like a door for egress and also tilts in from the top for secure ventilation. They are available as a single sash window or as a french swing window as shown below in which both sashes open wide. This type window would be a much safer choice for easy egress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:16 am 

Thanks for the input on the different stle window. WOuld this still be available from a home improvement store?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:29 pm 

I just did a job where i had to install the smallest possible egress winndow annd it ended up being a harvey 36 x 37 casemennt with an egress hinge. You may have a hard time finding the type of window that he suggested aas a DIY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:20 am 

The least expensive egress window would probably be a slider (as you mentioned) or a double hung. One of the most expensive would be a tilt turn, but they're a fun window to have. :) Tilt turns are usually not found in the big box home improvement stores. Since you need a 20" clear opening width, a single (instead of a 2-wide) casement or tilt-turn could be used but it has to have at least 20" clearance, so you would simply have to make sure it's ordered wide enough.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:51 am 

I'd definitely have a Licensed Structural Engineer sign off on your work. If you do unseen damage, your home owners insurance may stick you in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:23 am 

Another option is a window made by LB Plastics which may be available in your area as I think there made in North Carolina. It's a double hung with special hardware that allows the bottom sash to be raised higher and swing upward giving you more clearance in a smaller unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:41 pm 

after about a year and half...I think he probably got it figured out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:22 am 

Thanks WoW, Ain't it funny how time slips away. Ummmmm details, dates, got so much window crap in my head there isn't room for common sense. I'm now at the point where I need a bread crumb path to find my way home at night.