Needed egress window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Joe Joe

Needed egress window

#1 Post by Joe Joe »

I am in the process of replacing 6 windows and am having some DIY issues with egress requirements. The two windows that I am running into issues with are the two 40 x 54 windows in my bedrooms that will need to be egress size. We had the Home Depot installer out and he stated that if we went with single hung windows, Simonton would have the necessary room to be large enough. (Does this make sense that the SH would have more space than the DH?) I would prefer to do the project myself, but am finding that other brands of replacement windows do not have enough of an opening. (American Craftsman and Crestline - also Pella doesn't make the right size). Anyone know of a DIY brand that will give us the room needed for egress for the DIY? I thought of using a new construction window for those rooms but am concerned that it may not match the other windows from the outside. Can the DIY'er purchase Simonton? Any other brands that someone knows of that will allow the egress in the 40 x 54" replacement space?

Also, we have a window that is 52X66". Simonton has a DH that will fit in that space, but none of the other manufactures seem to. I am okay with making this a picture window if I have to. The egress windows in the bedrooms are more important to me since we plan to sell in the next 5 years.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

I sell Simonton to DIY customers I would think that many other distributors will do the same.

You do get a little more room from a single hung than a double hung.

I don’t know what State your in but here in NJ we received a technical decision from the State that if a window meets egress with the lower sash totally removed and the sash can be easily removed without the need of tools this is acceptable. This is the case with Simonton.

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ

Joe Joe

#3 Post by Joe Joe »

Thanks Bill.

I was told by Lowe's that their replacement window line - Reliabuilt - allows for 5ft egress, DH, which is acceptabe in most areas for 1st floor. I will check with the city on Monday, but can you compare the Reliabuilt to the Simonton products as far as quality for me?

Joe