Anderson v. Schuco v. Phillips, which brand!?!?!?!

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
halseysmith

Anderson v. Schuco v. Phillips, which brand!?!?!?!

#1 Post by halseysmith »

Any thoughts on this?

dominicki

Good experiment done on anderson vs schuco.

#2 Post by dominicki »

I just had schucco windows installed. I believe in knowing how things actually work; the absolute bottom line! I had single pane windows and some new andersons in the house. As a replacement for the single pane windows, the salesman sold me on schucco windows by using the heat lamp demo. He plugged in his lamp on the outside of my single pane windows and I felt the heat inside my home before he even brought the lamp near the window. I then asked him to demo on the anderson french doors & a window, I felt the heat a few second later. When he shown it on the schucco window sample, the heat never came thru. Sorry I cant be of help on the phillips window. From the prices Ive been seeing in these forums, I think I got a good deal at $450 per window installed. I live on Long Island.
Last edited by dominicki on Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisexv6

#3 Post by chrisexv6 »

Cant comment on Phillips, but I had both Schuco and Andersen out when lookign for replacement windows.

The Andersen Renewal replacements were recommended by the person that did the vinyl siding on our house (friend of the family, excellent work, etc). So I was actually looking to stick with Andersen. Then I saw the windows. Not too bad, but the price was high. And when I asked "if Fibrex is so good, how come Andersen still uses vinyl in most of their products" I got a "....well because Fibrex is too expensive to use on off the shelf products". Hmm. Also didnt like the fact that all of the stories (good or bad) I found about them were no older than 5 or 6 years. I need to make sure my purchase lasts a lot longer than that. Their price (at the time) was astoundingly high to me. But they were the first quote I got so I couldnt compare it to anything at that point in time.

Schuco was actually the last quote I got (yeah, I went with Schuco). They were more expensive than the Renewals, but the product looked and felt a lot better. I got the heat lamp demo, but I look at the 2 hour demo as lots of marketing speak. When it came down to specs, the salesman didnt have them. He handed me the phone, gave me a number to dial, and I was talking directly to Schuco within 2 minutes. The rest (as they say) is history. The product basically sold itself......little things add up (hardware that *isnt* molded into the sash, lots of weathersealing, frames reinforced with actual metal inside, etc). I loved the TPS spacer and ended up going triple pane (for both noise reduction and slightly increased efficiency). Must warn you, it took a WHILE to get all of our windows in stock (ended up being about 8-9 weeks total), but it was worth it in the end. Our installer did a fantastic job, and was willing to walk with me to every issue I found. If he couldnt fix it, he had Schuco do it. We recently had a couple issues (3 months after the job was done) and he came out the day I called him, admitted he had to get Schuco involved and they were there 2 days later. 2 days after that the Schuco rep came back with the parts and fixed our windows.

My overall experience with Schuco has been great, even with the extended wait time. Id say if you have the $$$, and plan on staying for a while, the Schucos would be a good investment. At minimum, they seemed to be a better investment than the Andersens (at least in my case).

Also make sure you are comfortable that your installer will do a good job. Check references, ask questions (how will you insulate? how do you cap the exterior? etc). Its more important to have a good installer than a great window. If you can get both, more power to you.......but a bad installer can make a good window horrible, and a good installer can make a bad window decent.

You didnt mention your location. Im in CT, if you are nearby, I can give you the name of the company I used.

Good luck!
-Chris

dominicki

Re: Anderson v. Schuco v. Phillips, which brand!?!?!?!

#4 Post by dominicki »

halseysmith wrote:Any thoughts on this?
I just had schucco windows installed. I believe in knowing how things actually work; the absolute bottom line! I had single pane windows and some new andersons in the house. As a replacement for the single pane windows, the salesman sold me on schucco windows by using the heat lamp demo. He plugged in his lamp on the outside of my single pane windows and I felt the heat inside my home before he even brought the lamp near the window. I then asked him to demo on the anderson french doors & a window, I felt the heat a few second later. When he shown it on the schucco window sample, the heat never came thru. Sorry I cant be of help on the phillips window. From the prices Ive been seeing in these forums, I think I got a good deal at $450 per window installed. I live on Long Island.

nicfargo

Schuco FTW

#5 Post by nicfargo »

I am looking at new windows for my house. I live in Lincoln Nebraska and I'll let you know what I got for a quote for Schuco Windows from ABC Seamless. We have 25 windows we are replacing.

13 - 85ui ($675ea)
5 - 69 ui (~$580ea)
3 - 75 ui (~$620ea)
4 - Hoppers (~$400ea)

We are going with the corona 4000 triple pane, krypton, double-hung throughout. We were quoted 15k for all 25 windows. Which is hilarious because Home Depot came in and quoted Simonton 6500's (Double pane, argon, not nearly as pretty, etc) at 16k. So a much better window is going to cost me less money! From researching these windows for about a month now...i know more then I ever wanted to know about windows. However, I now know that Schuco's are the best and that is what I'm putting in my house, and it is all I will ever buy (assuming they stay on top of the market).

Nic