What would the different tiers of window Manufacturer's be?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
wewarrior

What would the different tiers of window Manufacturer's be?

#1 Post by wewarrior »

O.K. there seems to be 100's of Manufacturer's out there and based on the responses when people try to compare, some of the replies are: "you can't compare those because they are not in the same league". So, from a price/quality standpoint, if there were "Tiers", what Manufacturer's would be the "High End", who would be "In the Middle" and who would be "The Low End"? Where would these Manufacturer's fall?

Anderson
Pella
Harvey
Gorell
Schuco
NewPro
Alsite (sp?)

Thanks,

Teresa

Tiers of windows

#2 Post by Teresa »

did you ever find the information you were looking for? I have the same question. What windows did you go with? I'm thinking about Gorell 5300 or Airtite.

Windowguy

#3 Post by Windowguy »

For wood windows, Marvin is best, then probably Pella and Pozzi. Andersen is a lower/middle quality product. We have had delaminatng problems with their doors. They still use a spray-on elastomeric paint instead of the extruded aluminum exteriors on better made products.

For vinyl windows, Milgard is the highest rated window by Builder's Magazine, followed by Simonton. Certainteed is highly rated by Consumer Reports. Another excellent window value is Amsco.

earwax

#4 Post by earwax »

A note on the Consumer Reports. They only tested a few windows. They did not even test some of the largest manufacturers windows. The took a rendom samploing ao some East coast manufacturers. Tough to say they did a good job naming the best. They only looked at options available.

As far as Amsco. I have been in love with thier price and delivery time. They are a great company. I like the new product with the solid interior. Real sturdy. Do not know what the energy numbers are, but looked at it for about and hour at the PCBC. I also like their three lock options. They are getting bigger in California, but have always had a large market in UT, ID, CO and WY.

Door&WindowPlus

#5 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

J.D Powers just released a builder and remodeler satisfaction survey with residential window and patio door manufacturers

Guess who was rated the BEST: SIMONTON

J.D. Power and Associates and McGraw-Hill Construction Reports:
Simonton Windows Ranks Highest in Builder and Remodeler Satisfaction among Residential Window and Patio Door Manufacturers

2nd Certainteed, 3rd Marvin, 4th Anderson, and Milgard was 5th.

I guess Milgard couldn't buy this like they do with most of their awards. Dont get me wrong I sell Milgard but for the money Simonton with the Super Spacer is a much better product that usually is lower priced depending on the window sizes. Just no one has heard of it because it is only dealer based window. Avg. Price for a installed Simonton XO Slider (3x4)with the Super Spacer is $405 Installed. Milgard Classic is around $410 installed. Have to add the Argon for the Milgard.

Comments.