Aluminum frame is sticking out about 1/2" pass the stuc

For those self-installers
jsue1961

Aluminum frame is sticking out about 1/2" pass the stuc

#1 Post by jsue1961 »

Help...I am about to order and install a 118" XOX replacement window in my living room. The window will have a Z-Bar and today I noticed that the aluminum fram is sticking out pass the exterior stucco about 1/2". Should I use my Sawz-All and cut the protruding frame or should I get some stucco filler and even it out with the frame. I think if I install the replacement, the z-bar won't be flush with the stucco. Any suggestions?

John

johnmr12

frame sticking out

#2 Post by johnmr12 »

John, use the sawzall to remove the protruding metal, and dont forget to apply a generous bead of sealant on the face of the old frame before installing the new window. You want to seal the back of the Z-Bar to the face of the aluminum.

jsue1961

#3 Post by jsue1961 »

THanks. You also replied to my personal email. That is waht I call service!

JOhn :D

jsue1961

Done!

#4 Post by jsue1961 »

Replaced the window this past weekend. Surprisingly it was very simple, just heavy. I did not have to cut the protruding frame because the Z Bar fit square with the frame. Luck or maybe it was designed that way. In any case the look is a huge improvement. Had lots of rain later and no leaks. Now I just have to figure out how to frame the gaps inside.

John "First Timer and Willing to Do More" S.