Traco windows and 'cladding'

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
cjw1510

Traco windows and 'cladding'

#1 Post by cjw1510 »

Anyone have any experience with Traco windows? I have read through the discussion and don't see this brand mentioned. Are they high-end windows?

Also - how important is 'cladding' - putting a vinyl wrapper around the exterior wood frame? I can see it would lower maintenance since I assume you don't have to paint the vinyl cover...is there any disadvantage?

Thanks!

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

Cladding helps with preventing damage/rot of the underlying wood and also removes the need the occasionally repaint wood to maintain looks and protect the underlying wood. It isn't that common a problem with vinyl cladding, but I'd compare warranties to see if they cover separation of the vinyl from the wood and any rot that gets under the vinyl into the wood. As long as you have a good warranty, and you don't mind the look/colors of the vinyl cladding, it is worth considering, in my opinion, if you need a real wood window.

There are also various companies offering vinyl and fiberglass frame windows with either real or simulated wood interiors. Those are generally immune to rot, a bit cheaper (on average), and often about equal in energy efficiency to wood.

I never see Traco windows in my area, so I won't comment on them directly.