Window World in San Diego

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jessieg

#1 Post by jessieg »

Has anyone had any experience with this company? Right now they're advertising any size window installed for $275. I've been on their website and see that they use Comfort World windows, which I haven't heard of. I have seven windows and one slider I want to replace and am looking for something of good quality and affordable. Is anyone knowledgeable about these folks, their products, and the quality of their installation?

Thanks in advance.

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

Love those ads.
Look at it this way....

275 a window installed?? For ANY size?? Right!

Minus about 97.00 for average cost of installation, including salary, insurance, etc, per unit leaves 178.00.
Minus the Companies cut, hmm, maybe 12% on average, about 33.00 leaves 145.00.
Minus the Manufacturers cut, say maybe 20%, 55.00 leaves 90.00, minus the Salesman's cut, let's go 10%, 28.00 leaves 62.00. Think there's any more that can go into the cost of MAKING that window?? Of course, advertising costs, maybe 4%, the cost of shipping that window from the plant, etc.
Even so, do you want a window that cost's 60.00 to make?? Where's the quality??
Very often those ads will get a rep into your house where he'll recommend a much more expensive window.
Be careful

Profx

#3 Post by Profx »

Window World is a growing company, I think they have close to 120 franchises nationwide. Their comfortworld windows are made by alside. The 4000 series is an alside excalibur window and their 6000 series is an alside ultramaxx, these are descent windows in the 250- 300 range. If you're budget can afford more I'd look around a little more, but for the money their a good window. About installation if you did go with them definately check out previous installs and if you were happy with the work request the same installers do your job.

jessieg

#4 Post by jessieg »

Thanks for the information -- now, how can one tell a "good install?" What should I be looking for?

Profx

#5 Post by Profx »

In looking for a good install there are things you can see and things you can't. Look at the windows on the exterior, there will be vinyl coated aluminum capping covering the exterior moulding around the window, make sure it has a clean, neat look to it and that no wood is left exposed. Also look at the caulk on the exterior, it should be used where the capping meets together at the joints, against the window, and where it meets the house this should also be neat. If possible ask the customer about the crew who did their job, where they curteous? neat with their work? etc. Some things you can't see such as insulation, a lot of contractors won't take time to insulate the window well, foam insulation or fiberglass. Insulation is very important, you can throw your u-value out the window if it's not used. Really just look at the overall appearance of the installed window it should tell you alot. Hope this helps guys.

jessieg

#6 Post by jessieg »

Well, thanks very much for helping me!