Gorell Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mrj14

Gorell Windows

#1 Post by mrj14 »

Can someone explain the differences/advantages between the Gorell 5100 and Gorell 5300 windows? The biggest difference we saw was with the foam insulation that the 5300 has in the frame, there is more vinyl and less window than the 5100, which we actually didn't really like the look of. We think the 5100 looks nicer, even though it is the "lower line" of window.

Performance wise, it appears that both windows have similar numbers, and the glass packages are the same (Argon gas, low e-coating, double strength glass, Energy Star).

Most of the other differences we noted were minor cosemetic differences, i.e. locks, larger handles, etc. I also know that the 5300 offers more options, i.e. Armor Glass, larger sizes, and different colors, but we really don't care about that.

One thing that we thought was telling was the sales rep had us over to his house and he had new windows put in his house a few years ago, and he opted for the 5100 over the 5300.

Thoughts?

interested buyer

gorell

#2 Post by interested buyer »

Have you decided which window you are going with?

mrj14

#3 Post by mrj14 »

Probably with the 5155 Model, which the 5100 Series Double Hung with the sloped sill. I didn't really see that much advantage in the 5300 Series, and no one gave me a reason to do otherwise.

brotker

Gorell

#4 Post by brotker »

Hi
Did you go with the Gorells??
How are they?

mrj14

#5 Post by mrj14 »

I just had them installed today. They look pretty good. The only problem so far is that with a few of the spring loaded tabs (the ones you use to fold the window in to clean) are faulty in that the spring doesn't work. However, the company that installed them is coming out to replace them.

I checked out a bunch of different windows (a few local brands and a few national), and the impression that I got were that Gorell may not be the best windows, but the are a good value (a decent window at a good price). I wanted a good window, but didn't want to break the bank.

I have a cousin who does window installation in another city, and he said the installation of the window is just as important as the quality of the window. He said a below average window installed properly will outperform an excellent window installed improperly. So make sure you do the research on the company/contractor doing the installation. I checked out the Better Business Bureau on-line, and some local reviews.

Good luck! By the way, the price you were quoted sounds pretty fair. It is pretty comparable to what we paid out here in Rochester, NY.

brotker

Gorell

#6 Post by brotker »

MRJ14
please keep me posted on how the windows are holding up...i am looking at a few other choices next week and will make my decision shortly.
good luck with the windows.
can you tell me what model (5100?) and features you purchased.
thanks
ben

mrj14

#7 Post by mrj14 »

We went with the 5155s, which basically are the 5100s with a sloped sill (a little easier to keep clean). I checked out the 5300s also, but didn't like the look of them, as there is more vinyl and less window. Seemed like a lot to give up in appearance for a just a little better performance. Even the salesman said the extra cost wasn't worth it, and he put the 5155s in his house (and he even let me come to his house to check them out).

If I recall properly, we got the double strength windows with a low E coating. I noticed a difference the first day. We usually set our AC at 69 over night, and 79 during the day when we are at work. Usually, when we come home from work, the house is in the high 70s. Today it was hot outside, but the house was only 73 degrees. The windows did a good job of keeping the suns heat out!

amphibo

#8 Post by amphibo »

I just read through mrj14's posts from May through July concerning his search for vinyl replacement windows. I too was surprised at the lack of reviews and comparisons of what you'd think would be a fairly common, high dollar consumer product.

If mrj14 sees this post I'd appreciate an update on how they like their Gorell windows. Last week I visited a local/window door company that had Gorell products. I liked the product and the sales rep. Very low key.

My old double hung windows measure about 33x54 and the rep quoted me a replacement cost, including removal of the old windows of about $450 per window.

Any anecdotes from people who've purchased Gorell windows would be appreciated.

amphibo

mrj14

#9 Post by mrj14 »

amphibo,

We have only had them a few months now, but no complaints so far. We have noticed that it is helping to keep the house cooler in the summer. Overall, we are happy with them.

Prices depend on the size, product line, and area of the country you live in, but the price you quoted sounds about right.

Harman

#10 Post by Harman »

amphibo

Which Gorell did he quote the $450.00 per window for?