window prep

For those self-installers
hid-perf

window prep

#1 Post by hid-perf »

Another one for the pros on here. I'm doing a rehab on a house built in 1908. Not a historic rehab, just modernizing and updating. All the quotes I've been getting have included removing the old windows which I have no problem with. Here's my question. I have to remove the windows anyway before any measurments can be taken. the brick surrounding the windows needs repairs so I'll be removing the windows, repairing the brick, doing any re-framing that needs to be done and then boarding them up until the new windows are ready to be installed.

My thoughts are this, since the windows will be out and any bad wood will be replaced that means less labor involved for the installer so therefore the price should be cheaper. Also, the installer will not be doing any interior finish work since I'm doing all the wood trim myself.

Am I wrong in this line of thought? Would you discount the install if one of your customers did this work in advance? Would you be insulted if I asked for a discount because of those reasons?

kasuchomel

#2 Post by kasuchomel »

Just had a window quote last night - 11 windows in a house built in 1868...not a misprint, but...I am going to remove the windows amyself and I don't want the aluminum wrap they have as a standard, and I am going to keep the windows, so they don't have to haul them away. I got $25 off per window. The windows are all approximately 34" x 65" and the quote was $370/per. It's a Heartland Window, vinyl, double hung, etc.

Anyway, I was very disappointed they did not offer a bigger discount.

K

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#3 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

kasuchomel, thats a very good quote for the Heartland, if it's the 7000 series. You can tell the difference by the locking mechanism. In that series the lock functions also as the mechanism to tilt in the window and has no visible tilt keys. Their other series does not. I have dealt with them for years and have had no complaints.