Went with the Schucos from AES Builder

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
billdsmith

Went with the Schucos from AES Builder

#1 Post by billdsmith »

Well, after much review of the available products, including many posts on this board, I decided to go with the Schuco windows, being installed by AES Builder & Home Improvements. The initial feedback I got was that the price I was quoted was a little high. I checked with 2 other contractors (1 authorized Schuco dealer and one dealer who could order and install for me even though it's not his "regular" brand). Both of them said they could not beat the price, average $900 per window. This includes installation, disposal of old windows and capping? (wrap the outside sills).

I have 37 windows:

19 dh less than 100 inches
12 dh greater than 100 inches
6 casement

One comment about my experience with AES. They have a solid reputation in this market, from customers and competitors. I met one of their salespeople at a local (Baltimore) Home Show. I asked them to have a meeting scheduled. I was very put off when their scheduler called and said he would not set a meeting unless my wife was present. I let him know what I thought . . . then I called the salesperson. He worked it out then the rest is history. I certainly understand they want to sell logic to the man and emotional to the wife, give the hard close and reduce the number of non-productive sales calls. However I think there has to be a better way for them to qualify prospects. After I signed the contract I asked the salesperson to provide my feedback to the owner and that I was confident that their tactics had cost them business. In an ideal world sales would be about relationships and solving people's problems, not cheesy sales tactics.

I'll update the board from time to time on the status of our project.

BDS

akasha0

#2 Post by akasha0 »

I have AES coming out next week to give me a quote. How was your installation experience and how are the windows so far? By any chance did you look at Premier or NHR? Premier came tonight and the window (by Thermal Industries) looks good. Plus they will work with our HOA (gotta love the Columbia Association) to make sure everything is done right. Just curious about your overall experience and what other companies you looked at since we are in a very similar geographical area.

Thanks!

billdsmith

#3 Post by billdsmith »

My window install is scheduled for the week of June 4th. AES is doing some other work for us and we've been very pleased so far.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

AimHigh

#4 Post by AimHigh »

I'm from the Baltimore area too and been looking at Alside windows for the narrow frame to max the glass area. Regarding the manufactures/styles you choose...are they the wider frame style? Any Bow Windows?

PS: I too just hate the long sales pitches...dread the whole process..just give me what I need to know.

whichwindow

Premier & Thermal Industry Windows

#5 Post by whichwindow »

I'm in Montgomery County and I had Premier come in as well and show me the Thermal Industry windows, the DH500 and the P7 (Dream vue). The windows look good, mulit-chambered etc..... but my main concern is that Premier no longer belongs to the BBB. They gave me a story why, but I'm not sure I believe it.

Anyone have good experiences with Premier and Thermal Industry windows?

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

I'd avoid the P-7 from Premier. It's uses a pocket sill which will retain water after every rain and eventually the insulation will rot. Their pocket sill also is just a snap in plate that goes over the frame extrusions. In effect, they use the frame of the window to drain water. You will have a problem with pollen and dirt accumulating inside the frame and the possibility of mold growing. I haven't looked at the P-7 in a few years, but the last time I did TI was still using spiral balance, which I don't like either because of the high incident of failure. Is Premier still using the same old tired out, Model home, one time offer, high pressure sales pitch?

As far as the Vytex window NHR uses, search my posts if you are interested in an opinion.

Good luck!!

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

If you go to the sister site to this one, there was a good discussion recently about pocket sills.

Curious about the reason Premier gave you for no longer being a member of the BBB. If you type in their Virginia phone number into the BBB search engine it brings up one of the 2 other bogus companies that Premier operates called National Home Remodeling. They used a rehash program where they show up at peoples houses as Premier Windows and then if you didn't buy, they would call a few days later and represent themselves as National or Value Remodeling and come out with a price drop. I wonder if that tactic had anything to do with losing their BBB status?

Maybe you should wait a few days and see if they offer a better price.

whichwindow

Premier/BBB

#8 Post by whichwindow »

Thanks Skydawggy :) They said that BBB was not only accepting unreasonable claims from consumers (such as price was too high), but also that they only had two arbitrators in the area who were not qualified to resolve claims regarding their type of work.

Regarding the p-7, I just looked at the Schuco windows and wow what an awesome looking window. The quality of the construction and engineering really impressed me. I haven't seen any negative comments on this board regarding Schuco. Specifically I am looking at the double pane, because I want the sculptured grid. Your thoughts Skydawggy?

Thanks!

whichwindow

Premier

#9 Post by whichwindow »

Forgot to mention that yes, they're still using the high pressure sale method and supposedly were giving me a deal with the P-7 at the same price they initially quoted for the DH500.

The p-7 compared to the Schuco - Schuco welds are tighter, better closing mechanism, screen lock, window lifts are steel, not plastic, screen is fiberglass, not aluminum. These are just first glance initial comparisons.

Also, according to window distributor/installer, Schuco trains the installers and then requires them to return every two years for refresher courses. Anyone also hear this from a Schuco installer?

Skydawggy

#10 Post by Skydawggy »

I think you have enough info on Premier to make an educated decision as to whether to use them or not.

Yes, as you can see the Schuco is a much better made window. Another popular window here is Simonton. If you go to Simontons website you should be able to find a dealer. I'd take a look before you make your final decision.

whichwindow

Schuco/simonton

#11 Post by whichwindow »

Thank you for the suggestion. The installer I am talking to carries Simonton as well. Nice looking window, looks like good quality and would definitely consider that over Thermal Industry window. Side-by-side with Schuco, I think I'll pay the extra for the Schuco. I like the PAL- auto-locks (I have small children) and the steel sash lifts on the Schuco. The plastic sash lift on the Simonton seemed a bit flimsy. If I didn't want to pay the bit extra for the Schuco then I would have likely gone with Simonton.

I'm also planning on being in my house for at least 15 years, so I expect I'll get my money's worth. Thanks again for your comments.

buddy110

Re: Premier

#12 Post by buddy110 »

whichwindow wrote: Also, according to window distributor/installer, Schuco trains the installers and then requires them to return every two years for refresher courses. Anyone also hear this from a Schuco installer?
This is a bogus claim. Schuco doen't train anyone on installation. Perhaps they (the instalation company) trains thier installers but trust me Schuco does not. However the window is top notch. I rarely here bad about Simonton but IMO the Schuco is superior.

G'ma Carol

AES

#13 Post by G'ma Carol »

Been reading the posts re Schuco and AES install. I am in Annapolis and need replacements for a 5th floor condo. Did AES do the job--and do it well? Any other recommendations. Thanks a lot.