Does Anyone have any info on Bede Windows?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
jytrabue

Does Anyone have any info on Bede Windows?

#1 Post by jytrabue »

We are looking to replace 7 windows and 2 sliders in a single story, stucco house in San Diego.
We've looked at several manufacturer's and are down to Simonton, Milgard, Certinteed and a company named Bede. Supposedly the Bede windows are new to our area, but have been in other areas for awhile. The Bede's seem to be a well constructed window with a good warranty. We've been visiting this website often to get as much info as possible to assist us in our decision. Just haven't read anything from anyone else about the Bede windows.
Anyone??? Thanks in advance.

Cheryl

#2 Post by Cheryl »

The Bede window is actually made in China - that is why the lead times are so long.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The invasion is underway. There will soon be dollar store windows everywhere...

What scares me even more is all the Chinese parts flooding the market and going into name brand windows. Who knows what quality level they are and how long they will last.

And even worse...if they knowingly put anti-freeze in toothpaste for our children's consumption and kill our pets with poison laced pet food, what leftover toxic chemical compounds can we expect to be in their vinyl windows and parts? Maybe I'm being paranoid, but then again, does anyone remember all the Chinese vinyl mini-blinds full of lead years ago that were found to be poisoning babies who would put them in their mouths when looking out the windows?

On about the only positive side of all this, there will probably be plenty of work a couple years down the road replacing them.

Cheryl

#4 Post by Cheryl »

You are so right, Window 4U. I know of the work of some extruders in testing this material. They purchased products from Home Depot (vinyl) that were made in China and found lead in the products. Apparently lead is used to lubricate the extrusion equipment (its cheaper) and some of it leaches into the profile. I also have some questions regarding the AAMA certification of these profiles. Yes, they pass the initial testing, but part of the process is on-site inspections, without notice, at the plants to assure that the products are being made as tested. With the time and processing needed to get into the country, how must of a suprise is it really? I believe that is why this extruder tested the products.

marquismcc

Re: Does Anyone have any info on Bede Windows?

#5 Post by marquismcc »

bede is actually a german made, german engineered, but is assembled in China. lead times are actually better than comparable products and lead time is justified by price. also, the pvc used is manufactured in the us. Bede is a good product based on price, options, and quaility. do some more research.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

So the vinyl is extruded here in the US and then they stick it on a boat to ship it overseas to then stick it back on a boat and ship it back....???

I would be very suspect of that my friend.

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

Which manuf. are using parts and extrusions made in China?

particular

#8 Post by particular »

The sad thing about Chinese products is that over time they WILL replace all of the so-called good componets with a cheap copy of their own. Buyer beware!!!

Window4U (IL)

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I think this says it all...

gary

#10 Post by gary »

I have been a glazier for 41 years. I like what I see so far, so, I have just ordered my first house of Bede windows and I will post my experience as the job progresses. These are for a good client so I am banking on a successfull outcome. As far as comments about China etc. I think the person or company that produces the best product, service and value should get the job. You know what they say about excuses...everybody has one.

Window4U (IL)

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

gary wrote:These are for a good client so I am banking on a successfull outcome. As far as comments about China etc. I think the person or company that produces the best product, service and value should get the job. You know what they say about excuses...everybody has one.

I can't even fathom ordering a job that size from China for a good client. Hopefully, you won't be the one full of excuses to your good client.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am no isolationist by any mean, however, I think buying an American made product during this day an age is a reasonable decision.

tifftaffy

#13 Post by tifftaffy »

Window4U (IL) wrote:I think this says it all...

best picture ever.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

All the manufacters who are importing parts must maintain excellent QC, No matter where the parts come from.
It will become apparent which companies have the right QC programs.