Andersen VS Alside Replacement windows

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
gdatta

Andersen VS Alside Replacement windows

#1 Post by gdatta »

I live in Maryland and would like to find out if Andersen or Alside is a better replacement window. Also, if somecone is aware of dealers offereing good deals on replacement windows.

Windows on Washington

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

that is a pretty broad question and the two windows will be light years away on a price comparison.

Dollar for dollar, the Excalibur will probably serve you much better and has a better warranty.

You need to expand your search beyond just those two. If you are willing to pay Renewal prices...there are some very nice vinyl windows that fall well below that number that you will get charged for Andersens.

gdatta

#3 Post by gdatta »

Thank you very much for the information. I would certainly like to know about the other windows. I read the consumer report and for wood-clad Andersen was the winner and for vinyl it was American Craftsman from Home Depot.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Take that consumer reports and throw it in the trash. Browse around this board and you will find what you need to know.

I hesitate to recommend any windows specifically for fear that I be labeled a self-promoter to the windows that I carry.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Windows on Washington wrote: I hesitate to recommend any windows specifically for fear that I be labeled a self-promoter to the windows that I carry.
Don't worry about that, ..say what you carry. That info is worth something to the people who read your posts. If they trust your advice, they may also trust your judgment. That's reflected in part by the products you offer.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Window4U (IL) wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote: I hesitate to recommend any windows specifically for fear that I be labeled a self-promoter to the windows that I carry.
Don't worry about that, ..say what you carry. That info is worth something to the people who read your posts. If they trust your advice, they may also trust your judgment. That's reflected in part by the products you offer.
Point taken. I will do so from now on. You and I have similiar inventories I suspect as well.

gdatta

#7 Post by gdatta »

what is your recommendation? Wood clad or vinyl? and the brands for replacement windows? I browsed tje reviews and I am not too sure about the brands or the type.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

gdatta wrote:what is your recommendation? Wood clad or vinyl? and the brands for replacement windows? I browsed tje reviews and I am not too sure about the brands or the type.
Wood clad vs. vinyl are typically decisions of aesthetics and material choice requirements. Those two are not in the running when you are considering energy efficiency or price for that matter.

The money that you will spend on a wood clad vinyl, you could get the best vinyl window installed and be light years ahead on energy efficiency and durability.