Shuco claims 50% off gas bill or they'll pay the difference

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mtrunz

Shuco claims 50% off gas bill or they'll pay the difference

#1 Post by mtrunz »

Has anyone actually had Schuco windows long enough (at least 1 year) to verify the claims that you'll save 50% off your yearly gas bill or they'll pay the difference? Has anyone tested the "written" guarantee that if your gas bill doesn't drop by 50%, Schuco will send you a check for the remainder? I have seen the postings from some salesmen/contractors that they stay away from these claims due to the many variables involved in having this happen. The salesman went so far as to claim these windows would pay for themselves in 12 years using ONLY the money saved on your gas bill each year. It sounds great and though these seem to be very well constructed (maybe even the best in the world as he claims)
are they really R10 and will they actually pay me if I don't save 50% off my fuel bill? It just sounds so hard to believe. I understand that Krypton gas is much denser than Argon but saving half off your gas bill? It doesn't seem likely that they would pay the difference even if they do claim it. Any comments would be helpful in deciding to buy or not.

windowrep

#2 Post by windowrep »

why don't homeowners kick these guys out of their house on their arss.
c'mon do us all a favor.

Bill

#3 Post by Bill »

Your instincts are correct the performance claims are ridiculous, granted Shuco is a great window but dealers that make these types of claims typically charge more then enough to cover any potential payment made to a purchaser who does not achieve the 50% energy savings. They also make the process of proving the lack of savings difficult and will usually only pay the difference for one month or one heating season. So in financial terms they are not sticking their necks out too far.

The claim of an R-10 window is also false; with a triple pane, low-e & krypton system the reading of R-10 can only be found in the dead center of the glass an area about the size of a quarter. The R factor of the entire window is about R-4.76

Bill
Uneeda Window of N.J.

mtrunz

#4 Post by mtrunz »

Thanks for the reply Windorep. I knew this had to be a fabrication or at least a stretching of the truth. I have to say that he was a great salseman though. He wasn't pushy at all and was quite pleasant and very intelligent which is why we didn't throw him out like the previous responder suggested. It will always hold true that if it seems too good to be true it usually is. The bottom line for me is that these seem to be a great window but I won't pay that much unless they actually do save you 50% on your fuel bills. A Mercedes is a great car too but my Buick is just fine. Thanks again.

FenEx

#5 Post by FenEx »

Just for the record, Schuco makes no such claim and offers no such guaranty. Your specific dealer uses that pitch, not Schuco corporate.

HipKat

#6 Post by HipKat »

Having sold those, I know the real story too, but here's a question, I've been wondering:

If a window is r-10 at center of glass, why wouldn't it be the same 1" over, or 2" under, or whatever, from the center??