After nearly 12 quotes, finally pulled the trigger.

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
rehabhell

After nearly 12 quotes, finally pulled the trigger.

#1 Post by rehabhell »

I have been losing sleep about the decision to purchase windows for my old/new home. With a total of 18 holes and 22 windows, this was one of the largest single expenses of the entire remodel.

I visited showrooms, had people come to the house, lurked on numerous webboards, went to every menardshomedepotlowes, etcs....

The lowest bid I recieved was around 6k, the highest was so high I will not even justify it with a number on this board. I researched simonton, pella, anderson, peachtree, reynolds, marvin, shuco, greatlakes and hayfield.

After reading hundreds of posts and meeting with dozens of salesmen I narrowed the field down to three bids. Two were shuco and the third was a combination of different manufacturers.

Both Shuco dealers have been referenced on this board, as I live in Chicago, and I have nothing but good things to say about each of them. I did decide to go with one of the two, and look forward to having the windows installed within the next week or two. The deciding factor came down to installation. I am too paranoid to buy a cheap window, and even more paranoid to buy an expensive window and screw up the install. My framer and finish carpenter were going to charge around the same amount as the shuco guy so why would I forgo the experience and warranty and save a few bucks on a multi thousand dollar investment?

The windows should be in place shortly, and I will follow up once the install is complete.

carbondater

schuco resources

#2 Post by carbondater »

i am also in the market for some schuco windows, i live in chicago, can you tell me who these two companies are i would like to call them and get some
quotes

thanks

novidave

#3 Post by novidave »

Let us know how it goes. I had never heard of Schuco windows until I visted this and a couple of other forums. just had the guy out yesterday and he gave me a qoute that took my breath away. By the time he left, we were down to less than 50% oif the original qoute. What nonsense.

Anyhow, it looks like it's about $1,000 per window give or take. I like the product, still unsure about the dealer. I have a LOT of windows and two kids who want to eat every day ;-)

buddy110

Re: After nearly 12 quotes, finally pulled the trigger.

#4 Post by buddy110 »

rehabhell wrote:I have been losing sleep about the decision to purchase windows for my old/new home. With a total of 18 holes and 22 windows, this was one of the largest single expenses of the entire remodel.

I visited showrooms, had people come to the house, lurked on numerous webboards, went to every menardshomedepotlowes, etcs....

The lowest bid I recieved was around 6k, the highest was so high I will not even justify it with a number on this board. I researched simonton, pella, anderson, peachtree, reynolds, marvin, shuco, greatlakes and hayfield.

After reading hundreds of posts and meeting with dozens of salesmen I narrowed the field down to three bids. Two were shuco and the third was a combination of different manufacturers.

Both Shuco dealers have been referenced on this board, as I live in Chicago, and I have nothing but good things to say about each of them. I did decide to go with one of the two, and look forward to having the windows installed within the next week or two. The deciding factor came down to installation. I am too paranoid to buy a cheap window, and even more paranoid to buy an expensive window and screw up the install. My framer and finish carpenter were going to charge around the same amount as the shuco guy so why would I forgo the experience and warranty and save a few bucks on a multi thousand dollar investment?

The windows should be in place shortly, and I will follow up once the install is complete.
Good choice!