Patio door Installation Error HELP!!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
suzy112112

Patio door Installation Error HELP!!

#1 Post by suzy112112 »

I just had two patio doors installed by Clearview Windows, Both door have a very dangerous threshold lip at the sill, one door is 1 3/4 inch high the other is 2 1/4 inch high, I tripped over one the first day of installation.
The contractor is telling me this is standard. I have new doors in my home in big bear and friends that have new patio door installation and I cant find anyone with more than 1/4 inch lip. The contractors refuse to fix this problem. What are my options, and is a lip this high standard?
Shouldnt the guy who came to measure and take out my old doors which where flush to the floor have informed of the new lips on the sill?
Help!!

handyman19619

#2 Post by handyman19619 »

yes and no

handyman19619

#3 Post by handyman19619 »

is it the track you trip over or the overhang of the threshold
Most new doors have a track for the operating panel that is 1 1/4" high
But if the door is hanging over the exterior 1 or 2" they could have added a toe kick and fixed the problem

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

I don't know of any manufacturer that has a rise of more than an inch and a half. It sounds like they may have installed it over the original sill board from the old door. We always take into consideration the rise of the new door and where we set the new frame. Most of todays new frames should sit right on the floor decking without any riser boards. Some of the older homes will have the unit sit right on the floor joists or concrete if a slab home. If you can see the bottom of the frame on the inside something is funny. If there is a small transition strip like 3/4" quarter round covering the bottom you should be fine. Then it's just the way the door is made. You will just have to get used to lifting the legs more when going in and out. Good Luck with this as I know it's a frustrating thing to deal with!!