why so expensive?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
eman

why so expensive?

#1 Post by eman »

live in RI. sears recently quoted me $8000 for two windows.

a 3' by 3' garden window = $3500!
a oversized bow windown ( 7' by 5' ) = $4500!

this is installed price for the least expensive Sears replacement windows after an allowance for a 15% discount and an extra discount "if i buy now"

ok maybe i can see the possiblilty of $4500 for the big bow window
but there is no way i could ever consider $3500 for a 3' x 3' garden window. isn't that nuts?

Can someone provide me information as to why vinyl replacement windows are so expensive? or is the price quoted to me not expensive?

I got a similar price from a home depot representative selling Anderson windows.

thanks

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

It’s not the vinyl windows that are expensive its Sears. By doing research and using this site you will learn which vinyl windows are of good quality; get a few more prices and you will see that a good vinyl window is the best value.

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ

Weender Man

#3 Post by Weender Man »

Bill wrote:It’s not the vinyl windows that are expensive its Sears. By doing research and using this site you will learn which vinyl windows are of good quality; get a few more prices and you will see that a good vinyl window is the best value.

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ
If Home Depot installs windows in your area, they may be one to check with. Same windows as Sears, for like half the price, and quality installation

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

I would strongly disagree. Home Depot uses a similar Simonton product but their labor is still outsourced to the lowest bidders and in most cases their prices are comparable to Sears. I guess it depends on your area.

JGR

#5 Post by JGR »

I was quoted from a reputable company (Windows Only) for Milgards at $4300. Last night after visiting with a great saleperson for several hours, Sears quoted me $11000. Even if the Sears window is 100% better than Milgard (which I doubt that big of a difference) it still isn't worth the money. The value I saw with Sears is their double lifetime warranty and window replacement+labor coverage for free. For example, if the kid next door throws a baseball through your window they replace it (supposedly) no questions asked.

-JGR

JGR

#6 Post by JGR »

BTW: Why is it that I walk through Home Depot and see windows sitting on the shelf that are already warped? I'm not seeing just one or two, I see several that look like very poor quality.

-JGR

Bill

#7 Post by Bill »

That’s because they are of poor quality (thin frames); the American Craftsman window sold in Home Depot is made by Silverline.

The Renovations window that is built by Simonton for Home Depot is offered on an installed basis only. Home Depot won’t even install the window they retail every day of the week

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ

JGR

#8 Post by JGR »

"Home Depot won’t even install the window they retail every day of the week"

Bill

Wow, good to know! Thanks Bill!

-JGR

Guy

#9 Post by Guy »

The Simonton window Sears and HD sell are almost exactly the same. Sears has their own special hardware with their name on it. That's about the difference. Sears gives their salesman a big pad to play with. If you think they are any better because of their warranty, your wrong. Try and get them out to fix your issue after they are gone and your house is leaking everywhere!!! Not every Sears location is like this. I know there are some areas where they have great service. But it's not worth the huge pay out you make. Home Depot on the other hand usually has bad installers. They hire any company that says they know what to do. HD also has a canned price they use when quoting the job. So it's only paying out so much for the install no matter what. Lowes on the other hand takes more pride in who they hire. At least here in MN they do. They also let us pre-bid our work so we catch any of the issues that may arise during the installation. This way we get paid what we should and offer you the customer a much better installation. Lowes then holds us to the plate if the customer has any issues. By paying out more money for a good job they get better responses to the customers issues. My company has installed for Sears, Home Depot and Lowes. Needless to say we still install for Lowes to this day. I feel the others have poor people running their programs or bad support from their corporate office. This is just my opinion based first hand off the Minnesota market. Nothing else!!! So spend some time looking at local suppliers and installers in your area. I think you can find a better deal some where else!!!

HipKat

#10 Post by HipKat »

HD, Lowes, Sears...BLAHHHH.

All retail stores selling a cheap retail product......

Weender Man

#11 Post by Weender Man »

JGR wrote:"Home Depot won’t even install the window they retail every day of the week"

Bill

Wow, good to know! Thanks Bill!

-JGR
I can see why that would make sense if the quality of the window on the shelf is questionable, then they wouldn't want to put their name on the install. However, everyone seems to agree that the Simonton window is a quality window and will install very well - thus they can rest assured putting their name on it. The inventory in the store just meets the customers price-point demands. I've seen that in VERY many industries. Have you looked into whirlpool spas recently? If a company is going to install one and back up the install, they will only use a better grade one. If they are going to leave the install to the homeowner, they will sell you any crap that will fit into your budget!

Guy

#12 Post by Guy »

Easy there now Hipkat!! I make a great living off Lowes every day. They are very different from the others at least here in MN. They give us installers full rein of our jobs. We get to bid them just like any other job. They send me the customer and I go out and measure it up like any other one I'd do. I price it out and the customer pays for what we do. I don't compete against any other installer at all. They take it or walk away. I do give Lowes a big cut on pricing though. They get their mark-up and I get great volumes of work. So Lowes does do it differently!!!

HipKat

#13 Post by HipKat »

I hear ya there, but as I don't have a Lowes here yet, although one IS about to open, I can only guess that what they sell is at least comparable to home Depot, which in MY oinion sells junk windows. So if you say you're making a good living installing junk windows, then bravo!! lol.....
But if your making a good living installing GOOD windows, then BRAVISIMO!!! lol....

Guy

#14 Post by Guy »

Lowes just fills a hole for us and adds a bunch of work to keep the boys busy year round. We also handle Pella outright (Not The Vinyl). I also have a home grown vinyl manufacturer up the road from here that I get my vinyl from. I feel it's a great product and sell it by the boat load. Nothing better than a manufacturer with in driving distance from. If an error is made I can drive a bit and hang my salesman by the tie over my shoulder. Then a swift drop of my hand and a pimp slap is done!! I'm just kidding. Not that there aren't days when I want to. We have a great partnership and things work out quite well. We also install Marvin, Andersen, Enerpro and a ton of other manufacturer here for our builders. You want bottom of the barrel garbage it's Gienow and Phillips Marquee window. I'm not even going there on these. No matter how good we feel they just never work out right.

HipKat

#15 Post by HipKat »

Guy wrote:Then a swift drop of my hand and a pimp slap is done!!
That just brought me out of my bad mood.....

You do things alot like we do. We have a bunch of different windows. A very close relationship with the manufacterer, etc....
The only difference is that all of ours come from the same manufacterer.

You KNOW you work for a great company when your boss says that instead of losing me, if I end up moving to Peoria, that maybe he'll just expand into Peoria, since no one sels Vista windows there now, and probably no one has our system (which no one in Buffalo does....).