milgard vs Amerimax

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
1a2s3d4f

milgard vs Amerimax

#1 Post by 1a2s3d4f »

i am new a this two type of glasses. any one know between milgard and Amerimax which type of glass have better quality? how about Amerimax glass with cardinal glass which type of glass is better to have.
thank in advance.

Cheryl

#2 Post by Cheryl »

Amerimax is a manufacturer of building products, including windows, but not glass. Cardinal is a glass coater and manufacturer.

Windows(SouthernCA)

#3 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

Amerimax is a much better window. The spacer on the Amerimax is much better than that alumium crap Milgard uses. That alone makes the Amerimax window better. Milgard spends all this money to promote their window that uses 1970's technology. That spacer is a joke they use and that they dont offer a block cut because their too cheap to make a different die. Its a new construction window period. It has a crappy warranty that every time there's a warranty issue Milgard blames it on the installation. I know that comment will get some responses but it is. The installation I have seen on Milgards is horrible too. Since you can buy Milgards at lumber yards. If you guys disagree then why is a Milgard window that good? I replace 5 year old Milgards all the time in new homes. I'm in southern california.
Last edited by Windows(SouthernCA) on Tue May 06, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eddie

don't get sold on anything

#4 Post by Eddie »

I don't sell or install niether Milgard or Amerimax however, I have installed both of them years ago and I can tell you that they are almost even in quality.
In my opinion Milgard is the better window out of the two. Amerimax is an ok window but I don't care for it's vinyl because it has a blue tint to it and it is not as impact resistent. Both of them are highly over priced and a person can get more for their money by shoping around.
As for you question about the glass, both of them are about even and you should not let anyone tell you that one is far better than the other. Check the UV and SHGC numbers on any vinyl window with low-e and Argon and they will be so close that it doesn't make a difference.

Windows(SouthernCA)

#5 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

The Spacer which is a huge deal when shopping for windows makes these two windows night and day. A metal spacer heats up and make the glass and overall window less energy efficient. Milgard for some reason still uses this technology. Where as Amerimax uses the super spacer that is found on much more expensive windows and has no metal.

As for the blue tint that is Amerimax using 100% vinyl powder.(Only 3 manufacturers use pure 100% vinyl powder.) They also for this reason of people not liking the blue tint are changing it in November of this year. They will add a pigment to make it more of a white color like other vinyl windows. They really didnt want to do this but other window companies have made it a huge deal when selling against it.

Amerimax's warranty is much better then Milgards.

Look at Milgards brochures they never mention the spacer. There is a reason for this and its because it sucks. Milgard windows were first made for new construction homes. I love to hear how great Milgard is because its easy to shoot down the statement when the facts come out.

Eddie

Milgard VS Amerimax

#6 Post by Eddie »

Someone should check the UV and SHGC numbers on the over all window before saying saying a window sucks. All vinyl windows sold in Ca. with low-e are so close in energy efficiency that anyone saying otherwise is just spinning their salesman's web. Buyer beware. Like i said before, the two windows are very close but a person could get just as good of a window and spend much less.
Thats the facts.
Good luck

Windows(SouthernCA)

#7 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

I guess the fact Milgards vinyl turns yellow isnt a factor. And this yellowing isnt covered by Milgards lifetime warranty. I have seen this time after time by Milgard not covering their vinyl. It says Southern California's smog makes their vinyl turn yellow. Its not their fault they say.

HipKat

#8 Post by HipKat »

I keep seeing you refer to there being only 3 companies that use 100% 1 vinyl. Any chance of seeing that substantiated?? Because I see ALOT of companies, the one I sell for included make that claim.

JGR

Re: Milgard VS Amerimax

#9 Post by JGR »

Eddie wrote:Buyer beware. Like i said before, the two windows are very close but a person could get just as good of a window and spend much less.
Thats the facts.
Good luck
Eddie, I want to hear more about your statement here. I'm looking at replacing my windows and I've had a quote from a contractor for $4300 using Milgards. Sears gave me an estimate last night of $11000. Can you offer your thoughts on what windows you would suggest?

I'm in Portland, OR if anyone knows of a reputable installer and suggests a choice of windows for a reasonable price I'd appreciate it!.

P.S. Why the heck can't we use private messages on this board?!

-JGR