Is there any reason I won't love awning windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
freia

Is there any reason I won't love awning windows?

#1 Post by freia »

I have 24 single-hung windows that need to be replaced. Basically, they're each a huge picture window, with a 18" vertical slider at the bottom for ventilation.
Here's why I don't like this design:
-1- a lot of my view is taken up by the screen at the bottom
-2- When I open the windows, the sashes across the entire front of my house are at different heights - lousy fung shuei :?
-3- I live in Washington. When that unexpected drizzle hits, my casements get wet if a window is open
-4- I just hate the gunk that gets caught in the entire groove around the inside of the frame
-5- I have to replace about 12 balancers a year.
-6- they're a bear to open and close (I'll hop on them with my whole weight)
Here's why I want to replace them with a picture window/awning at the bottom combo:
-1- no icky grooves on the inside of the picture part of the window
-2- screens that retract into the awning frame when not in use (LBL)
-3- easy to open/close
-4- some protection from rain if accidentally left open
-5- even sight lines even if they're open

I might be missing a big con of the awning windows, somply because I'm so excited about getting rid of those nasty nasty sliders. Can anyone provide me with any insight on any other considerations I should have on single-hing vs awnings?

buddy110

#2 Post by buddy110 »

An awning picture combination will be less leaky than practically any other combination you can think of. Awning's like casements are very air tight when compared to DH and slider windows. Your overall U factore will be lower as a result.

Bruce

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

If you decide on casements, which are the same as awnings, just turned 90 degree's, you should check out Simontons Colonial Casements. They are casements that look like double hung windows. We have installed a few for people who have Colonial style homes and want to maintain the double hung appearance, but want the energy efficiency of a casement.

freia

#4 Post by freia »

buddy110 wrote:An awning picture combination will be less leaky than practically any other combination you can think of. Awning's like casements are very air tight when compared to DH and slider windows. Your overall U factore will be lower as a result.

Bruce
Thanks. Good point. Now that you mention it, I can see daylight between the sliding window part and the frame on about 60% of my windows. I can see how that wouldn't be an issue with an awning (or casement).
Helga.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Much improved window over a slider or double hung. Major drawback...expensive when compared. If that is a non issue, I would always recommend casements and awnings were applicable.