The best choice for my Geological Area

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
aklkuno1

The best choice for my Geological Area

#1 Post by aklkuno1 »

I live in zone 3 of North Carolina. I want a simple window with the least expensive frame that is not crap and will provide adequate energy lost reduction in my area of the United States.

I would also like to know what is the difference between Wood clad vs. vinyl. I've heard those two are not in the running when considering energy efficiency or price for that matter, and that the money that I will spend on a wood clad vinyl, I could get the best vinyl window installed and be light years ahead on energy efficiency and durability.

I would like to know what window has the best U factor. SHGC factor and, what type of insulation should be used to seal around the window and the wall to provide a long lasting air tight fit. Also is Low e and Argon gas really necessary, -vs- regular replacement windows without the gas going to lower my energy bill considerably enough to install windows with the gases. I just want the truth and some real advice so I can get this job done and finished with a good conscience that I made the right decision. Oh! by the way these windows will be installed in a Fleetwood doublewide moble home. SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Windows on Washington

Re: The best choice for my Geological Area

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

aklkuno1 wrote:I live in zone 3 of North Carolina. I want a simple window with the least expensive frame that is not crap and will provide adequate energy lost reduction in my area of the United States.

Vinyl

I would also like to know what is the difference between Wood clad vs. vinyl. I've heard those two are not in the running when considering energy efficiency or price for that matter, and that the money that I will spend on a wood clad vinyl, I could get the best vinyl window installed and be light years ahead on energy efficiency and durability.

Wood clad is just that...wood frame work clad in some sort of material (vinyl, aluminum, etc). Wood clad windows can be very efficient but that is typically cost prohibitive. Again, on durabililty, wood clads can be extremely durable but at a significan price.

I would like to know what window has the best U factor. SHGC factor and, what type of insulation should be used to seal around the window and the wall to provide a long lasting air tight fit. Also is Low e and Argon gas really necessary, -vs- regular replacement windows without the gas going to lower my energy bill considerably enough to install windows with the gases. I just want the truth and some real advice so I can get this job done and finished with a good conscience that I made the right decision. Oh! by the way these windows will be installed in a Fleetwood doublewide moble home. SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

You can help yourself by reading on here and www.nfrc.org. Yes Low-e/argon is necessary for an efficient window. Argon helps more so in cooling zones. You need to make sure that your trailer wall thickness can accomodate the 3.25" frame width in most vinyl replacement windows. You may need to go with a thinner frame window or frame out the interior if your wall is too thin.