HELP!! Anlin vs. Milguard vs. Simonton "Who to belie

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cpr

HELP!! Anlin vs. Milguard vs. Simonton "Who to belie

#1 Post by cpr »

Need to replace all the windows in the house. I am looking for all vinyl windows, double hung, dual pane. I don't know what to believe...

What window would you recommend for quality and value?

Other issues:
Contractor #1: Sells Milguard & Simonton.
a. Says Simonton & Milguard product quality is the same, but that Simonton has a much better warranty. Is this true?
b. He came to house to quote on Simonton and said that he could replace the bottom windows, but the 2nd story windows, he could not install because not to code. I don't understand, the windows on the 2nd floor are the same size as on the 1st floor. What's the issue? I definitely need to replace 2nd floor windows because one is leaking into the living room downstairs (this is according to 3 different roofer's inspections).

Contractor #2: Sells Anlin.
a. Says his windows are superior to Milguard & Simonton.
b. He came to house to quote and did not see a problem with replacing windows on 2nd floor.

Issue: Who to believe about 2nd floor code requirements? COMMENTS PLEASE!!!

Thanks in advance to all that respond.

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

As far as code, didn't he explain whay not?? Are they too close to the ground (where tempered glass may be called for) or too small (egress/ingress)??
He had to have had SOME reason for that, didn't he?

cpr

#3 Post by cpr »

Because of 'egress.'

HipKat

#4 Post by HipKat »

What that means is that the windows have to be a certain size (4 sq. feet here) in order to be up to certain fire codes. I see alot of Awning winodew that are like 15" by 24", ffor example. that have to be enlarged to make 4 sq. feet. If they're smaller than that, then just make the openings bigger.

cpr

#5 Post by cpr »

Thanks HipKat for the reply.

I had some other suggestions:

1. Research whether the current code for my city requires egress for 'replacement' windows. In the Bay Area, each city has its own requirements and where it use to be always a requirement for egress, currently some cities do not require egress for 2nd floor 'replacement' windows.

2. Ask the Anlin contractor whether he was applying for a permit since he did not see any issues in replacing the 2nd floor windows. If he wasn't, ask if he can do so. If he hesitates, or returns with issues, that could be a good indication that egress is required.

Any thoughts?

HipKat

#6 Post by HipKat »

The firstt hing I would do is arm myself with that information by calling the local bldg inspectors office and simply asking them about codes on egress, and requirements for replacement windows on the second floor. in our case, it's only in bedrooms that egress applies, so hallways and bathrooms are not involved in those codes, and it makes sense as an emergency exit. The good thing about replacement windows is that they usually pop right out of the frame, and the tilt in double hungs open to make that exit in a few seconds, so maybe replacement windows on the second floor in the bay area aren't required to be re-sized to fit egress guidlelines, depending on the window style.