Evans Glass Eurocraft Review--Buyer Beware

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
ffrantz

Evans Glass Eurocraft Review--Buyer Beware

#1 Post by ffrantz »

When dealing with Evans Glass or Eurocraft, I ran into the following problems.

First, the window is not independently tested, so window performance is at risk. Putting your hand behind a UV lamp during their sales presentation isn't a good measure. Not testing the window is only sort of OK if they can tell you who made the glass and which glass system they buy. For example, PPG, a world know glass manufacturer, makes the following glass systems that are then sold to window manufacturers: SolarBan 60, SolarBan 70XL, and SolarBan 80. PPG has independent test results on those glass systems. As long as the window manufacturer does an adequate job and the glass is large relative to the trim, the overall performance of the window (glass + trim) will be similar to the performance of the glass.

That broght me to the second problem. Eurocraft glass is supposed to be from PPG but PPG doesn't list Eurocraft or Evans glass as a PPG Window manufacturer. First Evans Glass claimed Eurocraft used a new patented glass that doesn't use a coating and that it came from PPG. When I checked with PPG I found out that technology doesn't exist anywhere. PPG gets excellent performance by coating their glass. Next Evans Glass claimed they used PPG ThermopermE glass. When I contacted PPG again, PPG stated that they don't make anything called ThermopermE. Then Evans Glass folks did some researching and said sorry, we use PPG SolarBan 80. When I contacted PPG about that, PPG clearly stated that SolarBan 80 uses quarter inch thick glass and the Eurocraft window that Evans Glass sells isn't that thick.

So the bottom line is that Eurocraft-Evans glass uses a glass that is untested by an independent lab and they do not come clean about the glass they buy. Buer beware!

MackAK

Thanks for that review!

#2 Post by MackAK »

The Evans sales guy just left here, and I needed a way to question what he told me. I refused to sign on the dotted line, even though he insisted I'd be losing about $8,000 in discounts for replacing the 18 large windows in my house. He quoted me a price of $16,601 for the entire job. The samples he showed me were double-paned, although I was actually interested in triple-pane windows.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#3 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

That type of presentation should give you a clue to not even consider doing business with a company like that. $8000.00 in discounts is pure fabrication. Occasionally in this business when things are slow the manufacturers will give us special discounts of lets say $30-50 on select windows which we usually pass on to the customer. $8000.00 ummmm

MackAK

Looks like I'm going to have a problem w/Evans!

#4 Post by MackAK »

The sales rep came back today! Just now, some pushy jerk called me from Seattle, wanting to send a "higher up" out to see me! These people apparently don't understand the word "NO!", regardless of how many times I repeat it! Sheesh! :evil:

exwindowguy

#5 Post by exwindowguy »

They will continue to contact you until you do 1 of 2 things. Buy or die. :)

Seriously if they call again just ask to be removed from their marketing list and be put on the DO NO CALL list.