Bristol Triple Pane Windows vs Alside Triple Pane windows

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
mkscott606

#1 Post by mkscott606 »

We live in Phoenix AZ and we have 3 bedrooms with windows on the west side that really allow alot of heat into the rooms. We saw a very impressive demonstration of the difference between Bristol triple pane windows and dual pane windows with regard to how much heat gets through. Anyone have knowledge which is a superior product? Bristol Triple pane or Alside triple pane?

Thanks!

Delaware Mike

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

You should be able to go to the NFRC's website at www.nfrc.org and compare the two.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#3 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Check the Cardinal IG site for a test done in Arizona. The dual pane window in their test performed equally to a triple. No need for the added weight problem and extra expense.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'm not a Bristol dealer, nor have I ever even seen their product in person. They are supposed to be in the area today and wanted to stop by. How was your presentation? Their window looks like the heaviest thing I've ever seen. I agree with AWG, do the math and see for yourself.

One of things I hate about the "dog and pony show" glass pack demonstrations is that there are a ton of guys out bending the truth. They will all say this is what we offer, and this is what everyone else has. They will usually take of double glazed glass pack with 25 year old hardcoat low-e with no insulating gas and say it's what all of my competitiors sell as top of the line.

mkscott606

#5 Post by mkscott606 »

The Bristol Triple Pane demo was really impressive. The windows did not let any heat in from a heat lamp. I looked at the the Cardinal IG site and did not find the test performed in AZ. We're looking for a good product that really restricts the heat coming in through the windows. Do we buy double, triple, tinted? There is so much information and it's hard to understand what the best product is.

If you see the Bristol demo, please let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Randy or Oberon would be the guys to seek help from. Randy deals with the heat in Texas and he knows a great deal about what vinyl products will hold up under those conditions.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#7 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

I went to the Cardinal site and couldn't find it either, it's been a few years. If you go to your library and get the book Residential Windows by John Carmody and go to page 170 you will see the test from Phoenix showing a dual pane low-e outperforming the triple. This is a good book full of very technical info for all parts of the country. The number that matters is the SHGC which is on all window NFRC stickers. The lower the number the less Solar heat Gain. So to avoid any arguments just ask each window rep what glass pack they have that has the lowest SHGC. There is some give and take as some of the packages will lower you visible light transmittance substantially. I'm not a very big fan of Bristol because of their sales tactics and they are not very reasonably priced. You can do as well for much less.

mkscott606

#8 Post by mkscott606 »

Thank you Another Window Guy,

That was very helpful. I'll go to the library this weekend!